[news.software.b] Patch #3 for news

vito@trwspf.UUCP (Herb Barad) (01/09/87)

I remember reading that some people were having problems with
patch #3 that was posted for the 2.11 news. Is there any official
suggestions as to going ahead with patch #3.  I think somewhere
people were mentioning that patch #3 could clear out the
active file.  Is this true?

--
Herb Barad - TRW Data Systems Lab
ARPA:	barad@brand.usc.edu	or	vito%trwspf.uucp@brand.usc.edu

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (01/12/87)

If you are running 4.[23] BSd or a system with lockf() you can install it
with no problems.

if you are using links for the file locking, a bit of carelessness on my
part in integrating several different fixes introduced a potential problem
(potential since all compilers so far have complained about it) with
the unlinking of the lock file.
change
	UNLINK(ACTIVE, bufr)
	UNLINK(bufr)

and you should be safe

---rick

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) (01/12/87)

In article <146@trwspf.UUCP> vito@trwspf.UUCP (Herb Barad) writes:
>I remember reading that some people were having problems with
>patch #3 that was posted for the 2.11 news. Is there any official
>suggestions as to going ahead with patch #3.  I think somewhere
>people were mentioning that patch #3 could clear out the
>active file.  Is this true?

If you have BSD_42 or LOCKF defined, you're safe.  On other systems,
the first article will wipe your active file.

Here's the guilty part of the patch:

+ #ifdef BSD4_2
+ 	flock(fileno(actfp), LOCK_UN);
+ #else	/* !BSD4_2 */
+ #ifdef	LOCKF
+ 	lockf(fileno(actfp), F_ULOCK, 0);
+ #else	/* !LOCKF */
+ 	UNLINK(ACTIVE, bfr);	<---- here it is!
+ #endif /* V7 */
+ #endif	/* !BSD4_2 */

That's right, folks, it unlinks your active file.  Change the
offending line to "UNLINK(bfr)".

Note: UNLINK is a macro with no arguments; that's why the C
preprocessor doesn't catch this.

I'd recommend installing it with this change, since other bugs are
fixed.
--
- Joe Buck 	{hplabs,ihnp4,sun}!oliveb!epimass!jbuck		HASA (A,S)
  Entropic Processing, Inc., Cupertino, California

badri@ur-valhalla.UUCP (Badri Lokanathan) (01/13/87)

In article <43063@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
>change
>	UNLINK(ACTIVE, bufr)
>	UNLINK(bufr)

Is this posting to be treated as "official" notification (i.e patch #3a?)
If a future patch comes up, shall I be expected to have modified my file
or will I have to hack things again?

Badri Lokanathan
--
"I care about my fellow man            {) ur-valhalla!badri@rochester.arpa
 Being taken for a ride,              //\\ {ames,caip,cmcl2,columbia,cornell,