[news.software.b] Mangled article

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (01/13/87)

	The following article showed up on phri mangled -- looks like two
articles got scrunched together.  Is this line-eater, or overflowing file
system, or just random carnage?

----------------
--> From: usenet@soma.bcm.tmc.edu (USENET maintenance)
--> Newsgroups: comp.dcom.lans,comp.text
--> Subject: microprocessors in network products
--> Date: 9 Jan 87 07:48:34 GMT
-->
--> I have read a couple of interesting tidbits that I thought I'd pass along.
-->
--> In January 1987 BYTE Microbytes, it mentions that several laser printer
--> manufacturers are "turning away from Motorola's 68000 microprocessor
--> and replaceing it in their products with members of Nation Semiconductor's
--> 32000 family of chips, particularly the 32016 and 32032."
-->
--> In the January 5, 1987 issue of Communications Week, an article appears
--> that is entitled "LAN Manufacturers Hesitant to Use Intel Corp.'s 80386".
--> The article says that some vendors are releasing a 386 product, but others
--> feedpt. of Atmospheric Sciences, U. of Washington
-->
--> Does anyone have a working version of Emacs for a Masscomp 5500?  Has
--> anyone implemented GNU Emacs on a Masscomp?
-->
--> [Unipress sells a version of emacs that runs on the Masscomp. Gnu-emacs
--> i
----------------
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

"you can't spell deoxyribonucleic without unix!"

campbell@maynard.UUCP (01/17/87)

For what it's worth, the article arrived here munged in exactly the same
way.  The path in Roy's original notice was:

  phri!cmcl2!seismo!rutgers!ames!ucbcad!ucbvax!cbatt!cbosgd!soma!usenet

The path the article took to get here was:

  maynard!wjh12!husc6!mit-eddie!think!ames!ucbcad!ucbvax!cbatt!cbosgd!soma!usenet

So it's safe to assume the problem occurred on soma, cbosgd, cbatt,
ucbvax, ucbcad, or ames.  My bet would be on soma.
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.uucp             120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (01/17/87)

In article <804@maynard.BSW.COM> campbell@maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) writes:
>  phri!cmcl2!seismo!rutgers!ames!ucbcad!ucbvax!cbatt!cbosgd!soma!usenet
>  maynard!wjh12!husc6!mit-eddie!think!ames!ucbcad!ucbvax!cbatt!cbosgd!soma!usenet
>So it's safe to assume the problem occurred on soma, cbosgd, cbatt,
>ucbvax, ucbcad, or ames.  My bet would be on soma.

The article is intact on cbosgd and cbatt.  So it must be ucbvax or beyond.

By the way, why is soma sending news to cbosgd?  cbosgd is a leaf now.

	Mark

sob@cortex.UUCP (01/19/87)

It probably left soma that way.
I will look into it.

Stan	     uucp:{shell,rice,cuae2}!soma!sob       Opinions expressed here
Olan         domain:sob@rice.edu or sob@soma.bcm.tmc.edu   are ONLY mine &
Barber       CIS:71565,623   BBS:(713)790-9004               noone else's.