[news.software.b] Need help mailing from sys file

dbr@foxvax5.UUCP (D.B. Robinson ) (01/19/87)

<eat>

Our news feed just changed from news 2.10.2 to 2.11.  We are running
2.10.2, but that should not matter.  We have one user here that used
to get mail from our newsfeed for a newsgroup that we are not allowed
(politically) to get.  The old sys file entry looked like:

hammer:net.ham-radio::/usr/ucb/Mail -s "ham radio" foxvax5!user

Mail ceased arriving when they moved from 2.10.2 to 2.11.  I modified
"net.ham-radio" to be "rec.ham-radio" with no success.  I tried the
following and it DID work:

test1:to.foxvax5::/usr/ucb/Mail -s "does mail get sent" foxvax5!dbr

Now I'm completely baffled and don't have the time right now to start
reading source.  Can anyone out there tell me what the new format is?

We run 4.2BSD on a VAX 11/750 and so does our news feed.

Please send mail since I don't even have time to read news currently!

Douglas Robinson	jobs don't kill programmers, programmers kill jobs
The Foxboro Company
MS 04-3A		cybvax0!foxvax5!dbr
38 Neponset Avenue
Foxboro, MA 02035	617/543-8750

Karl.Kleinpaste@cbrma.att.com (01/21/87)

dbr@foxvax5.UUCP writes:
# Our news feed just changed from news 2.10.2 to 2.11.  We are running
# 2.10.2, but that should not matter.  We have one user here that used
# to get mail from our newsfeed for a newsgroup that we are not allowed
# (politically) to get.  The old sys file entry looked like:
#
# hammer:net.ham-radio::/usr/ucb/Mail -s "ham radio" foxvax5!user

You got caught by the double-checking now done in 2.11 for both
newsgroup and distribution.  Have your feed add "world" to the second
field, beside the newsgroup name being mailed, and the situation will
return to its proper state.
---
Karl

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (01/21/87)

In article <453@foxvax5.UUCP> dbr@foxvax5.UUCP (D.B. Robinson (Douglas)) writes:

>Our news feed just changed from news 2.10.2 to 2.11.  We are running
>2.10.2, but that should not matter.  We have one user here that used
>to get mail from our newsfeed for a newsgroup that we are not allowed
>(politically) to get.  The old sys file entry looked like:
>
>hammer:net.ham-radio::/usr/ucb/Mail -s "ham radio" foxvax5!user
>
>Mail ceased arriving when they moved from 2.10.2 to 2.11.  I modified
>"net.ham-radio" to be "rec.ham-radio" with no success.  I tried the
>following and it DID work:
>
>test1:to.foxvax5::/usr/ucb/Mail -s "does mail get sent" foxvax5!dbr

I'm posting this as well as sending mail because others converting
to 2.11 should be reminded of the problem.  It's in the documentation
but can be overlooked.

Try
hammer:world,rec.ham-radio::/usr/ucb/Mail -s "ham radio" foxvax5!user

In general, every regular sys line should have "world" in it.
Articles with no explicit distribution are assumed to be
newsgroups (comp,soc,rec, etc.) from distributions (world and others).
Since there is no "world" newsgroup, putting "world" into the sys
line shouldn't get you any extra groups, and no ",!world.all" is needed.

Your test of to.foxvax5 probably had a Distribution: to in it,
courtesy postnews, which is why it came through.

David Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
{ ihnp4!utzoo  seismo!mnetor  utai  watmath  decvax!utcsri  } !lsuc!dave

mark@omepd.UUCP (01/29/87)

In article <1521@lsuc.UUCP> dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:
>In article <453@foxvax5.UUCP> dbr@foxvax5.UUCP (D.B. Robinson (Douglas)) writes:
>>
>>Our news feed just changed from news 2.10.2 to 2.11.  .........
>>				The old sys file entry looked like:
>>
>>hammer:net.ham-radio::/usr/ucb/Mail -s "ham radio" foxvax5!user
>>
>>Mail ceased arriving when they moved from 2.10.2 to 2.11.  I modified
>>"net.ham-radio" to be "rec.ham-radio" with no success.  I tried the
>>following and it DID work:
>>
>>test1:to.foxvax5::/usr/ucb/Mail -s "does mail get sent" foxvax5!dbr
>
>I'm posting this as well as sending mail because others converting
>to 2.11 should be reminded of the problem.  It's in the documentation
>but can be overlooked.
>
>Try
>hammer:world,rec.ham-radio::/usr/ucb/Mail -s "ham radio" foxvax5!user
>
>In general, every regular sys line should have "world" in it.
>Articles with no explicit distribution are assumed to be
>newsgroups (comp,soc,rec, etc.) from distributions (world and others).
>Since there is no "world" newsgroup, putting "world" into the sys
>line shouldn't get you any extra groups, and no ",!world.all" is needed.

Question: if I post to rec.ham-radio with distribution of usa will
foxvax!dbr receive my message?  If I understand the distribution field
correctly he will not receive it.  It seems as if I need to put in usa,
na, and any other smaller distributions I want him to receive.

Is this so, or am I confused?

mark

{tektronix!uoregon,ogcvax,verdix}!omepd!mark
mark@omepd.intel.com