[news.software.b] Domains

david@elroy.UUCP (04/01/87)

In article <190@cbstr1.att.com>, Karl.Kleinpaste@cbstr1.att.com writes:
> roy@phri.UUCP writes:
> > > [7] An ARPANet address is frequently the same as a UUCP address
> >
> >  That's all well and good, once the whole world converts to domains.
> > Until then, it's a good idea to give your address on as many different
> > networks as your machine is on.
>
> Hm.  Well, all I can say is that I think one of the best ways to
> propagate a standard is to put it to use.  The sooner we all do
> something domainified with mail addresses, the sooner the few
> remaining sites that don't understand domains will have to convert.

I agree with the use of domains and I encourage people to convert
to domains. Now my pet peeve!

IF YOU ARE GOING TO CONVERT TO A DOMAIN BASED NAME DO IT RIGHT!!!

There is an increasing number of sites that are changing to use
domain based names and the are not regsitering with the proper
people!! If you read the RFC on domains you will see that in order to
create a subdomain such as "widget.com" you are required to meet
all the requirements of the parent domain ".com"!  This means at least
telling them who you are!  The ".com" domain is governed by SRI-NIC.ARPA
and you CANNOT become a subdomain of ".com" without meeting all the
requirements of the ".com" domain.  If you don't the whole domain based
scheme won't work worth beans!

	-David Robinson
	david@jpl-elroy.arpa
	david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov
--
	David Robinson		elroy!david@csvax.caltech.edu     ARPA
				david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov (new)

Karl.Kleinpaste@cbstr1.UUCP (04/01/87)

david@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov writes:
> I agree with the use of domains and I encourage people to convert
> to domains. Now my pet peeve!
> IF YOU ARE GOING TO CONVERT TO A DOMAIN BASED NAME DO IT RIGHT!!!
> There is an increasing number of sites that are changing to use
> domain based names and the are not regsitering with the proper
> people!

True enough.  But there's a couple thousand machines within AT&T known
to Network Action Central (NAC, the group that tries to manage the
UUCP connections amongst this morass).  All those hosts are correctly
known as SOME-HOST.ATT.COM.  The NIC knows about .ATT.COM and the use
of it is quite proper.

Karl