[news.software.b] USENET decisions

nyssa@terminus.UUCP (04/03/87)

In article <1454@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
>I figure it makes more sense to PAD with meaningless junk.
>Then when the net GODZ realize that this 'feature' adds more traffic to the
>net than it removes, maybe they'll be motivated to remove the
>(#@*&(!^#%(#* feature in future revisions.

The idea was to reduce repetition in postings... Many news readers
have the ability to backtrack through past references, if you want
to know what was said, there is no need to include any more article
than needed to give a bit of flavor.

Yes, it is easy to deceive.  Or you could pad it with junk.  Keep
it up, and maybe the backbone will say that it isn't worth carrying
the newsgroups where this happens.

Face it, Keith, there is a lot of traffic on the net, and many sites
are getting overwhelmed.  Cutting traffic is a laudable goal, if it
is an effort to filter out noise without censoring valid comment.
Alot of repetition (as well as these huge signatures I sometimes
see... There was one over 30 lines long...) is just noise.

Remember how close this was to being "talk.singles"?
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	(nicmad,ulysses,ihnp4)!terminus!nyssa

"I see the carrot juice worked..."  -OR-
"Why?  The Emperor must explain!"  (Where are they from?)

michael@m-net.UUCP (Michael McClary) (04/13/87)

In article <742@terminus.UUCP> nyssa@terminus.UUCP (The Scrapyard... I'm sorry, Valeyard, force of habit, I apologize.) writes:

>Face it, Keith, there is a lot of traffic on the net, and many sites
>are getting overwhelmed.  Cutting traffic is a laudable goal, if it
>is an effort to filter out noise without censoring valid comment.
>Alot of repetition (as well as these huge signatures I sometimes
>see... There was one over 30 lines long...) is just noise.

Indeed, cutting traffic is a laudible goal.  But wouldn't having the mailer
ask you if you really wanted to send all that junk, rather than dripping
your post in the bit bucket with no opportunity to recover it (as some
news posters do), be better bahavior?

User-hostile programs produce hostile users.

  "I've got code in my node."	| UUCP:  ...!ihnp4!itivax!node!michael
				| AUDIO: (313) 973-8787
	Michael McClary		| SNAIL: 2091 Chalmers, Ann Arbor MI 48104

Above opinions are the official position of McClary Associates.  Customers
may have opinions of their own, which are given all the attention paid for.

nyssa@terminus.UUCP (04/29/87)

In article <1179@m-net.UUCP> michael@node.UUCP (Michael McClary) writes:
>Indeed, cutting traffic is a laudible goal.  But wouldn't having the mailer
>ask you if you really wanted to send all that junk, rather than dripping
>your post in the bit bucket with no opportunity to recover it (as some
>news posters do), be better bahavior?

I am surprised that your mailer is doing that...  If I remember corectly,
2.11 news creates a file $HOME/.article, which it then puts in an
editor for you.  If the posting fails, then you have that file...

(Of course, if you did include more lines than added text, then
it would be easy to rewrite it, as you must therefore have not
written much, eh? :-)

Also, if the posting fails, I believe a file dead.article is created,
although that may only apply to bad newsgroups...

>User-hostile programs produce hostile users.

I agree... But how much user hostility of a program is just not being
familiar with the system?
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	(nicmad,ulysses,ihnp4)!terminus!nyssa

"Oh! I'm getting dizzy!"	Who said it, what story?