[news.software.b] bursting digests in rn

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Michael Khaw) (05/10/87)

Pardon my ignorance, but does rn provide a way to burst news digests, nad
if so, how is it done?

Thanks,
Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {hplabs|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|sri-unix}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

dhb@rayssd.RAY.COM (David Brierley) (05/14/87)

I started to reply to this as private mail but then decided that
others might not be aware of these features (I know I wasn't aware
of them until earlier today and I am a fairly regular user of rn).

In article <12604@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Michael Khaw) writes:
>Pardon my ignorance, but does rn provide a way to burst news digests, nad
>if so, how is it done?

Your question arrived here at exactly the right moment to solicit a
response.  Just this morning I was reading a digest and said to myself
"I wonder if rn can be convinced to process this digest in a reasonable manner?".
After going through the man page several times I came up with the following
items:

1. Use the control-G command to search for the next subject line in the
digest.

2. If you have an RNINIT file, add the following line:
-EPAGESTOP='^-- $\\|^--------'

3. If you dont have an RNINIT file, define the PAGESTOP variable in your
environment but with only one backslash.

The effect of the PAGESTOP is to stop at the dashed line that separates the
entries in the digest.
--
	David H. Brierley
	Raytheon Submarine Signal Division

Phone:		(401)-847-8000 x4073
Internet:	dhb@rayssd.ray.com
Uucp:		{cbosgd, gatech, linus, mirror, necntc, uiucdcs} !rayssd!dhb

dhb@rayssd.UUCP (05/14/87)

In article <1029@rayssd.RAY.COM> I write:
>In article <12604@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Michael Khaw) writes:
>>Pardon my ignorance, but does rn provide a way to burst news digests, nad
>>if so, how is it done?
>>

>2. If you have an RNINIT file, add the following line:
>
>3. If you dont have an RNINIT file, define the PAGESTOP variable in your
>environment but with only one backslash.

It has been pointed out to me that my article was a little confusing,
mostly due to the fact that the rn man page does not mention the backslash
when discussing the PAGESTOP variable.  If you read the section on regular
expressions you will see that alternate patterns are separated by \|
instead of simply |.  For some reason, when rn is reading the entry from
the RNINIT file it requires two backslashes.  Hope this clears up any
confusion.