[news.software.b] rn -hunrecognized

dce@mips.UUCP (David Elliott) (06/17/87)

Back in March, I discovered the -h option to rn. I had heard of
this beast before, and I finally got to a point where I needed
to use it.

I quickly found out that while I could get rid of stuff like
the Message-id, Reply-to, Distribution, and Date lines (none
of which I really cared for), I couldn't get rid of crap like
Checksum, X-*, and Received. These were really getting to be
a pain recently (if I have to wade through half a screen of headers,
I'm pretty likely to hit 'n') so I went looking for the code that
handles -h to add these.

Instead, I found that the option "-hunrecognized" will toss all
of the header lines that rn doesn't understand. I tried it out
and it works very nicely.

This value isn't documented in the manual page, and it is very
useful. I think it would be a good idea to announce this to a
very wide audience, and I'm not the person to do this.

--
David Elliott		{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!dce

jef@unisoft.UUCP (06/18/87)

In the referenced article, dce@mips.UUCP (David Elliott) wrote:
>I quickly found out that while I could get rid of stuff like
>the Message-id, Reply-to, Distribution, and Date lines (none
>of which I really cared for), I couldn't get rid of crap like
>Checksum, X-*, and Received.
>
>     ... I found that the option "-hunrecognized" will toss all
>of the header lines that rn doesn't understand.

While it's always fun to discover an undocumented feature, you don't
need it in this case.  Just use -h to get rid of ALL headers, then
add back in the ones you want.  Like this:

    -h +hfrom +hdate -hdate- +horganization +hsummary

 Jef Poskanzer  unisoft!jef@ucbvax.Berkeley.Edu  ...ucbvax!unisoft!jef
"There's a lot of things you can do with multiple fingers that you just
         can't do any other way." -- Roger Dannenberg, CMU RI