[news.software.b] rrn and nntp problems?

earle@jplopto.uucp (Greg Earle (40876)) (06/30/87)

In article <4161@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> (Brent Chapman) writes:
>In article <4027@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> (Greg Earle) writes:
>>I no longer have access to either the `rrn' nor `nntp' source, so I'll
>>throw this out:
>>Imagine a Worst Case scenario:
>>	Leave for vacation for 2 weeks.  Return, and fire up rrn (this may
>>be an `rn' problem as well, I dunno).  Get to soc.singles (best example).
>>Discover `1234 unread articles in soc.singles' (or similar huge number).
>
>This doesn't address all the issues Greg mentioned in his posting, but it
>does help after long absences.

Auugh!  Even doing the quick cancel didn't keep the virus from spreading ...

To anyone that saw my original article (complaining about seeing lots of
`Skipping
 (xxx unreadable.)'
messages in high volume groups when unread for a while):
	The *symptoms* I described were and still are true.  The *mechanism*
that I proposed for *why* the symptoms occur was *WRONG*.  Unfortunately,
this makes the resulting behavior even more bizarre!
	What I said, in essence, is that it appeared that if one had read up
through article (say) 1000 in talk.highvolume, and then not read anything
for a while, then one would find that upon returning to the newsgroup,
if the current lowest-numbered article was, say, now 1250 (let's say the
latest article is now 1500), due to expirations in the meantime, that `rrn'
would cycle from 1001 (next assumed unread article according to your .newsrc)
to 1250 (next real-live readable article) giving the abovementioned
`Skipping
 (1xxx unreadable.)'
cycle for those 250 articles in the gap between your .newsrc and the active
file.  Even on a 1200 baud phone line, this eats up much time and $$$.
	Well, I should have given `rrn' more credit for that, and waited to
check it out before posting (Heck, I cancelled it 5 minutes later; I tried).
Now, the crazy thing is - `rrn' *does* know enough to mark all the gap
between .newsrc and the active file as read; yet this problem STILL occurs;
and it is happening with article numbers that *ostensibly should
exist* according to the active file.  In other words, given the same example
as above (talk.highvolume: 1-1000 in your .newsrc; talk.highvolume 01500 01250
in the active file), presumably the active file, as cached in /tmp at the
start of your `rrn' session, is accurate.  Yet `rrn', when reaching this
group, will *correctly* start off trying to read (presumably) existing
articles at #1250, as it should; yet I have *still* seen literally dozens
of article numbers *in the valid range* stream by as `Skipping ... unreadable'
before hitting `readable' articles.  This is exacerbated by not being able
to directly access the spool directories on the news server machine, so I
cannot directly test whether the articles do indeed exist or not (and thus
localize the problem and reduce net bandwidth (-: ).  Thus, things become
even stranger - the presumably-correct-and-up-to-date active file says one
thing, but when the articles are accessed `rrn' says another.  Without
source *and* access to the spool directories it is difficult to assign the
problem/blame.  I throw this out to see if anyone else has encountered this
problem, and knows where the fault lies.  It is extremely frustrating to
not be able to tell `rrn' to shut up about long series of articles it cannot
access, that it should be spending its CPU cycles finding a readable one,
not racking up my phone bills droning on and on about the ones it couldn't
read ...

I hope this has made things a little clearer.

	Greg Earle		earle@{jplpub1,jplopto}.JPL.NASA.GOV
	(Now ex-)JPL		jpl{pub1,opto}!earle@jpl-elroy.ARPA
				jpl(pub1,opto}!earle@elroy.JPL.NASA.GOV
				seismo!cit-vax!elroy!jpl{opto,pub1}!earle