[news.software.b] Cross-postings found to be harmful

bert@aiva.ed.ac.uk (Bert Hutchings) (07/17/87)

If an article is posted to newsgroups A and B, and I subscribe to group A
but not B, when I've read it (in group A, of course) its B article number
is comma-concatenated on to the group B line in my .newsrc file.  Some of
the lines have got enormous in the last six months, and a manual clean-up
shrank the file from 6.4 to 4.3 KB.  If this happens everywhere, the disc
suppliers must be laughing.  E-mail any help to mn@uk.ac.ed.aiva, please.
--
Bert Hutchings		     AI Applications Institute, Univ. of Edinburgh, UK

jef@unisoft.uucp (Jef Poskanzer) (07/23/87)

In the referenced article, bert@aiva.ed.ac.uk (Bert Hutchings) wrote:
>If an article is posted to newsgroups A and B, and I subscribe to group A
>but not B, when I've read it (in group A, of course) its B article number
>is comma-concatenated on to the group B line in my .newsrc file.  Some of
>the lines have got enormous in the last six months, and a manual clean-up
>shrank the file from 6.4 to 4.3 KB.

I've appended a script of mine which sorts my .newsrc and also truncates
those lines.  I run it every month or so.
---
Jef

 Jef Poskanzer  unisoft!jef@ucbvax.Berkeley.Edu  ...ucbvax!unisoft!jef
           "...I'm looking for the joke with a microscope."

#!/bin/csh -f
#
# sortnewsrc -- by Jef Poskanzer

set f1=/tmp/sortnewsrc1$$ f2=/tmp/sortnewsrc2$$

grep -v \! $NEWSRC | sort > $f1

grep \! $NEWSRC | sort | sed -e 's/\!.*/\!/' > $f2

cat $f1 $f2 > $NEWSRC

rm $f1 $f2