[news.software.b] unbatching problems/lost news

rabbit@psivax.UUCP (Joe Kwan) (07/25/87)

While monitoring the log file for news (as news was being unspooled),
I noticed something strange that I haven't been able to figure out.
We receive a full feed from sdcrdcf and pass along everything to two
other sites.

Here's what our sys file looks like (edited down):

# Pacesetter Systems, Inc. (psivax)
# Sylmar, California
#
ME:world,comp,news,sci,rec,misc,soc,talk,net,mod,na,usa,ca,la,to,psi,alt::
#
#
sdcrdcf:world,comp,news,sci,rec,misc,soc,talk,net,mod, \
na,usa,ca,la,alt,to.sdcrdcf:F:/usr/spool/batch/sdcrdcf
#
quad1:world,comp,news,sci,rec,misc,soc,talk,net,mod, \
na,usa,ca,la,alt,to.quad1:F:/usr/spool/batch/quad1
#
csun:world,comp,news,sci,rec,misc,soc,talk,net,mod, \
na,usa,ca,la,alt,to.csun:F:/usr/spool/batch/csun

That should send *everything* we get from one of those sites to the
other two sites (right?).

Here's some entries I extracted from the log file (manually folded here):

Jul 24 15:58    sdcrdcf received <2033@ihuxv.ATT.COM> ng talk.bizarre,
	rec.music.misc subj 'Re: Not Imaginary Band Names'
	from mmj1@ihuxv.ATT.COM (Jenkins)
Jul 24 15:58    sdcrdcf <2033@ihuxv.ATT.COM> sent to cetacea

Jul 24 16:03    sdcrdcf received <23913@sun.uucp> ng rec.games.hack,
	comp.sources.wanted subj 'Unix Source for Hack'
	from efreed%beethoven@Sun.COM (Ed Freedman)
Jul 24 16:03    sdcrdcf received <381@dopey.AMD.COM> ng sci.astro
	subj 'Re: space photos' from rajiv@dopey.AMD.COM (Rajiv Puranik)
Jul 24 16:03    sdcrdcf <381@dopey.AMD.COM> sent to quad1, csun

The first entry: cetacea is another machine that only receives a
partial news feed.  One of those groups was listed in the sys file for
cetacea.  Why didn't that article get sent to the other two systems?

The second entry: article <23913@sun.uucp> didn't get transferred to
any other system.  (The next article just got added right after and
was listed above for context).

This seems to occur randomly and only occassionally.  I haven't
noticed any patterns as to which news groups are affected or
distributions listed in the article themselves.

We're running news 2.11 with patches 1-6 installed on a VAX-11/750
running Mt Xinu 4.3BSD UNIX.  Has anyone else noticed this problem?
Are there any patches out that solve this problem?  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe Kwan
Systems Analyst
Pacesetter Systems, Inc.
uucp: {csun, scgvaxd, hoptoad, sdcrdcf, ihnp4}!psivax!rabbit
--

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (07/27/87)

rabbit@psivax.UUCP (Joe Kwan) wrote:
> sdcrdcf:world,comp,news,sci,rec,misc,soc,talk,net,mod, \
> na,usa,ca,la,alt,to.sdcrdcf:F:/usr/spool/batch/sdcrdcf
>
> That should send *everything* we get from one of those sites to the
> other two sites (right?).

Wrong, the problem is the space at the end of the first line.  The
netnews code is way too intolerant of spaces for my taste.  Both of the
articles you showed as not routing properly had "Distribution: na".
The sys file lists "...,mod, na,usa,..." and the space causes "na"
articles to not match the sys file line.
--
{dasys1,ncoast,well,sun,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu	     gnu@postgres.berkeley.edu
Alt.all: the alternative radio of the Usenet.