[news.software.b] Setting up LIBDIR/sys

ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) (07/28/87)

I am trying to set up our sys file so that articles posted to certain
news groups are saved away for safe keeping.  Many moons ago (August
1982) Allan Watt posted a shell script (savesource) that could be used
to do this.  Below are the entries in question from the sys file and
even though new articles have arrived for comp.sources.unix, nothing
was saved.  I have checked the file protections on the directories,
etc, and they all seem to be correct.  If anyone has any ideas I would
appreciate hearing from you.  Thanks in advance.

BUGS4BSD:comp.bugs.4bsd::/usr/new/lib/news/savesource /usr/spool/news/savedir/comp/bugs/4bsd
UCBFIXES:comp.bugs.4bsd.ucb-fixes::/usr/new/lib/news/savesource /usr/spool/news/savedir/comp/bugs/4bsd/ucb-fixes
BUGSMISC:comp.bugs.misc::/usr/new/lib/news/savesource /usr/spool/news/savedir/comp/bugs/misc
SRCBUGS:comp.sources.bugs::/usr/new/lib/news/savesource /usr/spool/news/savedir/comp/sources/bugs
SRCMISC:comp.sources.misc::/usr/new/lib/news/savesource /usr/spool/news/savedir/comp/sources/bugs
SRCUNIX:comp.sources.unix::/usr/new/lib/news/savesource /usr/spool/news/savedir/comp/sources/unix

--
--Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@psuvax1.{psu.edu,bitnet,uucp}>
The Pennsylvania State University, Computer Science Department

becker@rochester.arpa (Tim Becker) (07/29/87)

In article <2717@psuvax1.psu.edu> ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu.UUCP (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
>I am trying to set up our sys file so that articles posted to certain
>news groups are saved away for safe keeping.  Many moons ago (August
>1982) Allan Watt posted a shell script (savesource) that could be used
>to do this.  Below are the entries in question from the sys file and
>even though new articles have arrived for comp.sources.unix, nothing
>was saved.  I have checked the file protections on the directories,
>etc, and they all seem to be correct.
>
>BUGS4BSD:comp.bugs.4bsd::/usr/new/lib/news/savesource /usr/spool/news/savedir/comp/bugs/4bsd

I had this problem recently.  Rick Adams suggested I add "world" as a
distribution to the list (with comp.bugs.4bsd in your case).  It worked
here.  I think it's probably what you need too.

Tim Becker.
becker@cs.rochester.edu
..!seismo!rochester!becker

mcb@lll-tis.arpa (Michael C. Berch) (07/29/87)

In <2717@psuvax1.psu.edu> ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu.UUCP (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
> I am trying to set up our sys file so that articles posted to certain
> news groups are saved away for safe keeping.  Many moons ago (August
> 1982) Allan Watt posted a shell script (savesource) that could be used
> to do this.  Below are the entries in question from the sys file and
> even though new articles have arrived for comp.sources.unix, nothing
> was saved.  I have checked the file protections on the directories,
> etc, and they all seem to be correct.  If anyone has any ideas I would
> appreciate hearing from you.  Thanks in advance.

Rather than messing up the sys file, you might want to consider using
"expire -a" to archive (instead of delete) articles in specific
groups.  We like to keep the sources and bugs groups indefinitely, too,
and the nightly expire script includes the following:

set archive="comp.sources.amiga,comp.sources.atari.st,comp.sources.bugs,comp.sources.games,comp.sources.mac,comp.sources.misc,comp.sources.unix,comp.bugs.4bsd.ucb-fixes"
set EXPLOG=expire.log
(time expire -a -e21 -v2 -n $archive)			>>& $EXPLOG
(time expire -e21 -v2)					>>& $EXPLOG

By default expire -a saves the articles in the usual tree format in
the directory /usr/spool/oldnews. MUCH better than running a special
"save" program every time an article comes in. I suppose it is
trivially less "safe" than saving them when they're posted (e.g.,
something could happen to them during the 2-3 weeks that they're in
the normal spool directory, but it's a LOT less hassle.

But, if you don't run expire (:-) and insist on using the sys file lines in
the quoted article, all you need to do is add "world" to the
newsgroup/distribution field in the sys entry, e.g.:

< BUGS4BSD:comp.bugs.4bsd::/usr/new/lib/news/savesource /usr/spool/news/savedir/comp/bugs/4bsd

> BUGS4BSD:world,comp.bugs.4bsd::/usr/new/lib/news/savesource /usr/spool/news/savedir/comp/bugs/4bsd

-----
Michael C. Berch
News/mail admin - lll-tis systems
ARPA: mcb@lll-tis.arpa
UUCP: {ames,ihnp4,lll-crg,lll-lcc,mordor}!lll-tis!mcb

barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.UUCP (Bruce G Barnett) (07/30/87)

If you would like to keep an archive of various files, may I suggest
you use expire -a and savenews. savenews is in your 2.11
distribution. Look at ./misc/keepnews for Chuq's very nice program.
The problem in archiving articles is managing large numbers of files
in a directory. Ever do a `ls' in a directory that has mucho files?

Chuq's program stores the files in a
	comp.sources.misc/<hashid>/<message-id>
format. This prevents any one directory from becoming too large.

I made some modifications to store files in a
	comp.sources.misc/YY-MM/<message-id>
format, which does two nice things:

1. The articles that come in separate parts are usually found in the
	same directory.
2. It is easier to archive to tape the older files, and recover them later.

BTW - Chuq's program also saves a log of the subject line.

If people want, I can send them the patches I have made. I also
made some changes that handles some of the strange Message-ID's and
provides better detection of compressed files, as I compress the files
before I am forced to archive them off disk.

The scheme works fairly well. Currently I have on line 41000 different
articles. (The advantage of large disks!)

Love them moderated source groups!
--
		Bruce G. Barnett
barnett@ge-crd.ARPA, barnett@steinmetz.UUCP, uunet!steinmetz!barnett