[news.software.b] A simple problem with feeding someone else

root@hobbes.UUCP (John Plocher) (07/28/87)

I have recently set up a partial news feed from this site (hobbes) to
another system (circle).  circle is a UUCP only site (with uuslave), and
is not running any of the Usenet Software (ie the news interface was all
written by the admin of circle).

The problem is that every article he posts gets sent to hobbes (as it should)
and then sent back to circle!  Why is this happening?  (is this a problem at
hobbes' end and the way I have installed 2.11, or is there some undoccumented
thing that needs to be done by circle?)

hobbes is a System5 machine (S5r2) running News 2.11 #3
circle is a FidoNet BBS running John Galvin's UFGATE software

This is no real problem as circle can (and does) discard duplicate messages.
But, I'd rather cut back on the modem usage too!

   Thanks,
      - John
it sees
--
John Plocher uwvax!geowhiz!uwspan!plocher  plocher%uwspan.UUCP@uwvax.CS.WISC.EDU

john@xanth.UUCP (John Owens) (08/04/87)

In article <159@hobbes.UUCP>, root@hobbes.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
> The problem is that every article he posts gets sent to hobbes (as it should)
> and then sent back to circle!

Check to make sure the articles leave their system with "circle" at
the head of the path:

--
John Owens		Old Dominion University - Norfolk, Virginia, USA
john@ODU.EDU		old arpa: john%odu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET

root@hobbes.UUCP (John Plocher) (08/06/87)

+---- John Owens writes (Quoting me)
| > The problem is every article posted gets to hobbes and then back to circle!
|
| Check to make sure the articles leave their system with "circle" at
| the head of the path:

+----
Yup, that's it.  He was using the line:

Note that in the document _Standard for Interchange of USENET Messages_
(DRAFT RFCxxx which Obsoletes RFC 850 - Included with V2.11 News) under
the heading 2.1.6.  Path:

  "Normally, the rightmost name will be the name of the originating system.
  However, it is also permissible to include an extra entry on the right,
  which is the name of the sender.  This is for upward compatibility with
  older systems"

Is this a bug in v2.11 that it requires kludges to support "older systems"?
(ie, is v2.11 an older system?)

Thanks to these people who responded by email, too:
    Dave Cohrs		Roger Rose	Rich $alz	Larry Campbell
    David S. Hayes	Joe Buck	Michael Gersten
--
John Plocher uwvax!geowhiz!uwspan!plocher  plocher%uwspan.UUCP@uwvax.CS.WISC.EDU

john@xanth.UUCP (John Owens) (08/11/87)

[I'm removing the "na" distribution.  While it was appropriate for the
original article, we're getting into areas that affect news systems
everywhere.]

In article <166@hobbes.UUCP>, root@hobbes.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
> Note that in the document _Standard for Interchange of USENET Messages_
> (DRAFT RFCxxx which Obsoletes RFC 850 - Included with V2.11 News) under
> the heading 2.1.6.  Path:
>
>   "Normally, the rightmost name will be the name of the originating system.
>   However, it is also permissible to include an extra entry on the right,
>   which is the name of the sender.  This is for upward compatibility with
>   older systems"
>
> Is this a bug in v2.11 that it requires kludges to support "older systems"?
> (ie, is v2.11 an older system?)

I think that it's important to leave the Path: lines and their
handling as they are, and change the Draft RFC.  Systems still use the
always be older systems around, so it's not feasible to remove the
name from the Path.  Conversely, if news systems pay attention to the
right-most component of the Path: line, then someone with a username
identical to a system name elsewhere will cause problems.

I submit that the RFC should specify that the rightmost component not
be used in Path matching and must always be present, after the
originating system name.  (Mark?)