[news.software.b] Batched ihave/sendme problem

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (08/14/87)

It appears that under the right circumstances sendbatch will send many
ihave messages with only one or two articles listed (in which case it
might as well send the article).

Apparently if sendbatch is running while news is unpacking, sendbatch
will send an ihave for the articles received so far and then loop around
for more.  Because news is unpacking, there are usually one or two more
ihaves to be sent by the time it comes around.  So the thing sits in a
loop sending lots of small ihave messages.

My solution was to create different scripts for ihaves and articles.  The
ihave one doesn't loop.

--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

loverso@encore.UUCP (John LoVerso) (08/17/87)

In article <2967@b-tech.UUCP> zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:
> It appears that under the right circumstances sendbatch will send many
> ihave messages with only one or two articles listed (in which case it
> might as well send the article).
>
> My solution was to create different scripts for ihaves and articles.  The
> ihave one doesn't loop.

That doesn't necessarilty solve the problem, as sendbatch will do the
same thing for regular batching - i.e, if you run sendbatch at 10 mins
after the hour, and news is unbatching at the time, its likely that
you might get serveral runt batches in a row.

The loop in sendbatch is good (at least for normal batching).  If you've
got a large batch file, it might take a long time to empty it if you
only batch once an hour.  However, it makes it much easier to fill a
disk.  Anyway, the only solution to this would be to add a check in
sendbatch to test for two runt batches (smaller than the size specified
to batch) in a row, and exit w/o error if such occurs.  It might also
be nice to teach sendbatch about disk space hassles, but ...

../John