[news.software.b] Minor hacks to rn - anyone want 'em?

hyc@umix.cc.umich.edu (Howard Chu) (09/12/87)

I've done a bit of hacking on the Configure script and the associated code
to munge the article headers a bit more on what rn posts. It now asks for
an Internet domain name in the config, which replaces the ".UUCP" that
was always appended to whatever was put in the "Reply-To:" field, and it
also asks for your preferred UUCP routes to your machine, to create the
"UUCP-Path:" header. Needless to say, this header isn't intended for use
by the mailer programs, but *is* intended to remove the need for such things
in one's signature. I've also fixed up a minor problem introduced when I
applied the patches for creating rrn.

If there's sufficient interest (mail me for requests) should I post it
here, or elsewhere, or ... ?
--
  -- Howard Chu
	"Of *course* it's portable. It's written in C, isn't it?"

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (09/15/87)

In article <936@umix.cc.umich.edu> hyc@umix.cc.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:
>I've done a bit of hacking on the Configure script and the associated code
>to munge the article headers a bit more on what rn posts...

>If there's sufficient interest (mail me for requests) should I post it
>here, or elsewhere, or ... ?

The best thing about rn is its centralized maintenance; Larry did the
net a great favor in showing how this can be done.  A patch to fill
in the correct domain is vitally needed.  For example, postings from
panda.stanford.edu contain Reply-To:  user@panda.UUCP -- a completely
different machine.

Your UUCP-Path header idea is more questionable though.  It's not
standard and there's no official specification for its syntax.  You
shouldn't be inventing one without considering all the issues.

Larry, are you out there?  Have you done anything about the domain
problem?

--
- Joe Buck    jbuck@epimass.epi.com
	      {uunet,ucbvax,sun,decwrl,<smart-site>}!epimass.epi.com!jbuck