[news.software.b] 'rn' generating inappropriate 'Reply-To' header

lamy@ai.toronto.edu.UUCP (11/24/87)

In article <3920@pucc.Princeton.EDU> IRWIN@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>but it also generates a bad 'Reply-To' header (irwin@phoenix.UUCP).
>
>I assume that there is simply some rn definition I have neglected
>to set.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

The From: line is generated by inews, part of the Bnews 2.11 distribution,
which generally has good domain manners, as does Cnews alpha, which we run
here.  These distributions are distinct from rn.

'rn' patchlevel 40 has bad domain manners, however.  I had to go in the code
to fix the following:

- get rid of the hard coded .UUCP in the default headers,
- fix Pnews.header to give a proper return address (when invoking Pnews
  on its own)

(in fact, I ripped the Reply-To: line, since it is redundant.  If the
 user wants one to redirect replies somewhere else, he can fill in the field
 himself)

I also fixed the cancel feature so that an article apparently posted from
ai.toronto.edu (we do hostname hiding) can be cancelled from any machine
whithin the same domain.  This is of course highly dependant on local
policies, so a general fix may be hard to find.

A final, unrelated bug is that 'rn' should not be checking out the .newsrc
immediately after the newsetup creates the initial one.  We only give initial
users a tiny subset of the newsgroups (the local general interest ones)
instead of a behemoth .newsrc.  'rn' would insist on checking out the .newsrc
and proposing a seemingly (to the new user) random selection of recently
created newsgroups...

Jean-Francois Lamy	               lamy@ai.toronto.edu  lamy@ai.toronto.cdn
AI Group, Dept of Computer Science     uunet!ai.toronto.edu!lamy
University of Toronto                  lamy%ai.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net (arpa)
Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4	               lamy@ai.utoronto, lamy@utorgpu (bitnet)

glee@cognos.uucp (Godfrey Lee) (11/30/87)

In article <3920@pucc.Princeton.EDU> IRWIN@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>but it also generates a bad 'Reply-To' header (irwin@phoenix.UUCP).

Look in common.h. There are two defines called MAILHEADER and NEWSHEADER.
--
Godfrey Lee                                      P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated                              3755 Riverside Dr.