[news.software.b] Cnews expire stuff

mc68020@gilsys.UUCP (Thomas J Keller) (11/28/87)

   I am lost.  In the Cnews alpha release there is a program under the expire
directory called "lowest.c", which includes a header file <sys/ndir.h>.

   I have absolutely NO reference to what ndir.h is supposed to contain, and
there is NO such header file on my system.  Can someone please enlighten me?
I tried replacing it with <sys/dir.h> with no luck.

   For reference, I am running a Tandy 6000 under XENIX 3.0.

   Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.  If ever a system NEEDED Cnews,
this one does!

--
Tom Keller
VOICE  : + 1 707 575 9493

karl@mstar.UUCP (12/02/87)

In article <1156@gilsys.UUCP> mc68020@gilsys.UUCP (Thomas J Keller) writes:

>   I am lost.  In the Cnews alpha release there is a program under the expire
>directory called "lowest.c", which includes a header file <sys/ndir.h>.

Since C-news will be used on so many different types of systems, why not
use Doug Gwyn's excellent POSIX-style package distributed in volume 9 of
comp.sources.unix?  It makes more sense than having a lot of conditional
code including <ndir.h> or <sys/dir.h> or <dir.h> (or nothing at all, if
you have a Xenix system like the initial poster or a 3B1 like mine at
home).  Let's standardize on standards.
--
Karl Fox, Morning Star Technologies, Inc.    ...!cbosgd!mstar!karl

> ... In the Cnews alpha release there is a program under the expire
> directory called "lowest.c", which includes a header file <sys/ndir.h>.

This is for the Berkeley directory library, which is the *only* portable
way to read directories (well, the only portable efficient way).  You
should be able to get it from comp.sources.unix archive sites if from
nowhere else.
--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry