[news.software.b] mail to news

giebelhaus@hi-csc.UUCP (Timothy R. Giebelhaus) (12/11/87)

How does one get mail into news.  For example, say I want to have a
group called honeywell.cad.parts which as all the mail sent to
cad-parts@hi-csc.uucp.

I assume this must be possible as the Arpa mail lists makes it into news.
--
---------------------------------
UUCP: {uunet, ihnp4!umn-cs}!hi-csc!giebelhaus

bob@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (12/13/87)

In article <38fe15a9.4580@hi-csc.UUCP> giebelhaus@hi-csc.UUCP (Timothy R. Giebelhaus) writes:
>How does one get mail into news.  For example, say I want to have a
>group called honeywell.cad.parts which as all the mail sent to
>cad-parts@hi-csc.uucp.

The quick way (the way we used to do it) is to have a line in
hi-csc's /usr/lib/aliases file that looks like like:

	cad-parts:	"|/usr/lib/news/recnews honeywell.cad.parts"

but that requires maintaining an alias for each newsgroup you want to
gateway.  The way we do it here now (thanks to some gross but inspired
sendmail hacquery by Karl Kleinpaste) involves, among other things,
the following excerpts from sendmail.cf:

	CNcis osu oh comp misc news rec sci soc talk unix-pc ddn alt

	R$=N.$*<@$=W.$D>	$#news$:$1.$2

	Mnews,	P=/usr/lib/news/recnews, F=DFMls, M=65535, A=recnews $u

The rest of the sendmail.cf-based implementation is left as an
exercise for the reader :-)
--
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277

sa@ttidca.TTI.COM (Steve Alter) (12/13/87)

In article <38fe15a9.4580@hi-csc.UUCP> giebelhaus@hi-csc.UUCP (Timothy R. Giebelhaus) writes:
>How does one get mail into news.  For example, say I want to have a
>group called honeywell.cad.parts which as all the mail sent to
>cad-parts@hi-csc.uucp.

Most mailers support aliases which can be programs or files as well as
just people.  Set up an alias which will direct your mail into the
inews program like this:

cad-parts: "|/usr/lib/news/inews -n honeywell.cad.parts -h"

This way, people just mail postings to "cad-parts" using their favorite
mail-interface, and the article appears in the newsgroup.

-- Steve Alter
...!{csun,rdlvax,trwrb,psivax}!ttidca!alter  or  alter@tti.com
Citicorp/TTI, Santa Monica CA  (213) 452-9191 x2541

merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes) (12/15/87)

In article <1545@ttidca.TTI.COM>, sa@ttidca.TTI.COM (Steve Alter) writes:
> Set up an alias which will direct your mail into the
> inews program like this:
>
> cad-parts: "|/usr/lib/news/inews -n honeywell.cad.parts -h"

     This will usually work, but can cause some problems with
header lines.  The alias should be:

cad-parts: |/usr/lib/news/recnews honeywell.cad.parts

Recnews strips those headers that do not belong in a news article,
then hands the article off to inews.

--
David S. Hayes, The Merlin of Avalon	PhoneNet:  (202) 694-6900
UUCP:  *!uunet!cos!hqda-ai!merlin	ARPA:  ai01@hios-pent.arpa

jpd@usl-pc.UUCP (DugalJP) (12/18/87)

In article <1545@ttidca.TTI.COM> sa@ttidca.TTI.COM (Steve Alter) writes:
>just people.  Set up an alias which will direct your mail into the
>inews program like this:
>
>cad-parts: "|/usr/lib/news/inews -n honeywell.cad.parts -h"

Don't forget to also add the alias:
owner-cad-parts:  worry-wart

so that login-ID 'worry-wart' will receive mail that could not be
delivered to cad-parts.  This happens when, for example, incoming
mail lacks a Subject line.

-- James Dugal,	N5KNX		USENET: ...!{ut-sally,killer}!usl!jpd
Associate Director		Internet: jpd@usl.edu
Computing Center		US Mail: PO Box 42770  Lafayette, LA  70504
University of Southwestern LA.	Tel. 318-231-6417	U.S.A.