	Date: Wed, 16 Dec 87 06:26:44 EST
	From: root@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
	To: news@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
	Subject: Expire errors

	expire: Unparsable date "31 Dec 69 23:59:59 GMT"

We get one of these from Tut, the main departmental news server
machine, and osu-cis, the 3B2 that does UUCP gatewaying for us.  I
have no objection to expire complaining about a nonsensical date; and
I suppose that this date qualifies as nonsensical because it's before
the "epoch."  But I really, REALLY wish it would tell me something
more about the article it didn't like; at least tell me the
Message-ID, preferably its filename in the news spool area, so I can
go blow it away, or change its Date: or Expires: line, or SOMETHING.

Prettyplease?  For patch #15?  Maybe?
-=-
Karl

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (12/18/87)

>	expire: Unparsable date "31 Dec 69 23:59:59 GMT"
>
>We get one of these from Tut, the main departmental news server
>machine, and osu-cis, the 3B2 that does UUCP gatewaying for us.

We, too, were getting this message, after upgrading to parch 14.
I noticed it when the spool filesystem filled up, because expire
wasn't removing stuff.  Rebuilding the history file (expire -r)
solved the problem.

I agree, however, with the original request for more information
about the error as well.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2560 Ninth St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,uunet}!mtxinu!ed    +1 415 644 0146

"`She's smart, for a woman, wonder how she got that way'..."