[news.software.b] Patch #14 on System V machines.

ptrubey@clan.UUCP (Phil Trubey) (12/11/87)

Almost...  Patch 14 has a small bug in it for those systems that
do not have the MKDIRSUB #define defined.  According to the defs.c
comments you are supposed to define this *if* your system has a mkdir()
system call.  Most System V Unix do not have this as a system call,
so this is usually left undefined.  This is used in the file funcs.c
where an alternate mkdir() is coded.  Unfortunately, Patch #14 enclosed this
mkdir() procedure with

#ifdef MKDIRSUB

instead of

#ifndef MKDIRSUB

I did the following diff of my two files to get the offsets...
(by the way, how does one generate patch's from two different files?)

File: funcs.c
523c523
< #ifdef MKDIRSUB
---
> #ifndef MKDIRSUB

Another question - this is *not* meant to be sarcastic: Do the news
maintainers have access to  a System V machine to test out their
patches before sending them out?

Phil Trubey
School of Computer Science, Carleton University

CDNnet: 	phil@scs.carleton.cdn
BITNET: 	ptrubey@carleton.bitnet
UUCP: 		ptrubey@scs.uucp     (  ..!watmath!clan!scs!phil)

jhc@mtune.ATT.COM (Jonathan Clark) (12/19/87)

In article <337@clan.UUCP> ptrubey@clan.UUCP (Phil Trubey) writes:
>Another question - this is *not* meant to be sarcastic: Do the news
>maintainers have access to  a System V machine to test out their
>patches before sending them out?

As of this last release, yes. I found two bugs which were fixed before
Rick sent out the patches. Unfortunately nobody created any new articles
in the time when I was beta'ing the code, hence the MKDIRSUB business
slipped through - actually I hadn't noticed it until I read the article!
--
Jonathan Clark
jhc@mtune.att.com, attmail!jonathan

The Englishman never enjoys himself except for some noble purpose.