[news.software.b] News 2.11 B running from bitnet

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (12/17/87)

How does one set things up with a bitnet feed so that news as well as mail
is passed along?  Are there any fancy tricks needed to get this working - any
thing that is lost or gained?

Also, I have been told that the doc to install Bitnet under Ultrix is rather
vague - at least for someone who is not familar with the process.  Are there
any auxilary articles published or tips from the pros which could make this
process easier?  A friend is setting things up soon.

Thanks!
--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (12/19/87)

In article <377@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>How does one set things up with a bitnet feed so that news as well as mail
>is passed along?  Are there any fancy tricks needed to get this working - any
>thing that is lost or gained?

Well ... it's fairly simple ... and all explained in the paper I've
been meaning to finish up for about a year now.

Basically all you have to do is copy batch'd article files from
one place to another, right?  The protocol we've been using with
our news feeds is with PRINT files, in class W, either fileNAME
or fileTYPE is NETNEWS and the other one is the site name who
is sending the file.

If the machines on both ends are capable of it, you should use some
sort of encoding scheme to sidestep the problems with encoding
characters in and out of EBCDIC.  The combination I use here is
compress and btoa.  uuencode didn't work well... I think it might
have just been because the BSD uuencode (the only one available
at the time) used a scheme which allowed lines with trailing
blanks ... which ended up being truncated somewhere.  Anyway,
the people at U of Toronto also send news across BITNET and use
a different encoding scheme.  I have a copy of their program
or you can get it from them.

>Also, I have been told that the doc to install Bitnet under Ultrix is rather
>vague - at least for someone who is not familar with the process.  Are there
>any auxilary articles published or tips from the pros which could make this
>process easier?  A friend is setting things up soon.

If you mean UREP.  Yes, the manuals are vague.  But that's what the source
code is for, right?  :-)  (um, yes I have read parts of the UREP sources,
and I *do* have a very hairy chest now ... :-) ...).  I don't know anything
extra you can read.  There is an IBM manual you can get which describes
the NJE protocols at a fairly interesting level of detail.  Unfortunately
I don't have a copy handy to give you part numbers ...
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET