[news.software.b] sticky saved filenames in vn

asp@puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik) (01/02/88)

been happily chugging along at patchlevel 3.  I use vn.  One difference
in the newer version is that when I use an "s" command for the second
time, the filename from the first "s" command is not retained.  This was
a great feature in that I could easily save related articles in the same
file.  Also when saving multiple shar'ed articles I could use a filename
like "fubar.1" and then each invocation of "s" would let me delete the
number and "increment" the filename.

I have my old sources and will probably put this feature back in.  My
questions are "When were sticky filenames added to vn?" and "Were they
removed for a reason?"
--
Internet: asp@puck.UUCP				Andy Puchrik
uucp: decvax!necntc!necis!puck!asp		Moonlight Systems

roth@coldbeer.UUCP (roth) (01/04/88)

In article <267@puck.UUCP>, asp@puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik) writes:
> I use vn.  One difference in the newer version is that when I use an "s"
> command for the second time, the filename from the first "s" command is not
> retained.
I've got the 8/87 version of vn running under two different OS's, SYS V REL 2.0
Unix and SCO XENIX 2.2 and haven't seen this bug. The new vn saves the name of
of the last save file just as the old one did. There must be something peculiar
about your installation. Why don't you email me information about your OS,
development system, and changes you made in the code and I may be able to help
you.
> questions are "When were sticky filenames added to vn?" and "Were they
> removed for a reason?"
They weren't removed. There is a global variable char *Savefile which is
initialized to point to whatever you defined DEF_SAVE to be in config.h. in
vnglob.c. This pointer is updated in reader.c and session.c by being set to
the return value of str_store(). My guess is that either the global variable
char *Savefile is being trashed or the storage area used by str_store is being
trashed. Since I can't reproduce the problem here, there isn't much I can do
for you until you email me the changes you made in the code.
--
Dennis Roth @ CENTEL Information Systems, Inc. 5515 Security Lane, Rockville,
Maryland, 20852, (301) 984-3636