[news.software.b] News on CCI Power 6/32

dave@stcns3.stc.oz (Dave Horsfall) (01/06/88)

On the off-chance that someone else somewhere is installing NEWS on the
CCI Power 6/32, this will save you from getting bitten.

The problem was that /tmp was getting filled by enormous "crout*" files,
generated by CRON.  They contained thousands (!) of lines of the form
"Inbound news is garbled", and weird file names like ".../.rnews/>M".
The same lines appeared in log and errlog.

This was traced to EXPIRE invoking RNEWS with -U to unspool anything that
may have arrived while expiring.

Now, the CCI Power 6/32 (bless its 5 board CPU) is a SysVile machine
with a Berzerkely file system and networking, and specifying USG in
the Makefile caused the fake directory reading routines to be used.

Easily fixed of course (just fudged it with #ifdef CCI), but I wonder
how many other hybrid machines there are out there, just waiting to
stab you in the back with a blind choice of BSD or USG?

--
Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU)      ACS:  dave@stcns3.stc.OZ.AU
STC Pty Ltd                 ARPA: dave%stcns3.stc.OZ.AU@uunet.UU.NET

loverso@encore.UUCP (John LoVerso) (01/12/88)

In article <171@stcns3.stc.oz> dave@stcns3.stc.oz (Dave Horsfall) writes:
> Now, the CCI Power 6/32 (bless its 5 board CPU) is a SysVile machine
> with a Berzerkely file system and networking...

Be careful!  There are a number of different ports of UNIX available for
the Power6 (aka Tahoe, HXC-7, 7000/40).  CCI has System V, but used to
have an awful 4.2 release.  I think Harris now has their own SysV/4.2
combination.  Sperry only had what CCI.  Finally, Berkeley has true-blood
4.3 (beta) for the machine, something that is now a few steps further
than the official 4.3 release tape.  At a previous job, I had a 7000/40
running 4.3 beta.

John LoVerso, Encore Computer Corp
encore!loverso, loverso@multimax.arpa

dave@stcns3.stc.oz (Dave Horsfall) (01/13/88)

In article <2477@encore.UUCP> loverso@encore.UUCP (John Robert LoVerso) writes:
>Be careful!  There are a number of different ports of UNIX available for
>the Power6 (aka Tahoe, HXC-7, 7000/40).  CCI has System V, but used to
>have an awful 4.2 release.  I think Harris now has their own SysV/4.2
>combination.  Sperry only had what CCI.  Finally, Berkeley has true-blood
>4.3 (beta) for the machine, something that is now a few steps further
>than the official 4.3 release tape.  At a previous job, I had a 7000/40
>running 4.3 beta.

Interesting.  More versions of the "CCI" around than I thought!  So
who _really_ makes the box?  At the time of posting, I'd only been
with the machine for a month...

--
Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU)      ACS:  dave@stcns3.stc.OZ.AU
STC Pty Ltd                 ARPA: dave%stcns3.stc.OZ.AU@uunet.UU.NET
11th Floor, 5 Blue St       UUCP: {enea,hplabs,mcvax,uunet,ukc}!\
North Sydney NSW 2060 AUSTRALIA    munnari!stcns3.stc.OZ.AU!dave

rossw@nezsupp.icl.co.nz (Ross Wakelin) (01/15/88)

Keywords:CCI Power 6/32

And we also sell CCI boxes, both the 6/32, and the newer (reduced physical
size) models.
These are sold with the System Five (tm) operatings system, a version of V.2
from CCI that has been slightly modded by ICL

Ross Wakelin	uucp:                  uunet!vuwcomp!nezsupp!rossw
Unix Support Consultant                rossw@nezsupp.icl.co.nz
ICL (NZ) Ltd	                audio: +64  4   724 884
Wellington, NEW ZEALAND		snail: PO Box 394
				       Wellington, NEW ZEALAND
"It's life Jim, but not as we know it, not as WE know it!!"

news@ccicpg.UUCP (R Beaver) (01/18/88)

In article <181@stcns3.stc.oz>, dave@stcns3.stc.oz (Dave Horsfall) writes:
> Interesting.  More versions of the "CCI" around than I thought!  So
> who _really_ makes the box?  At the time of posting, I'd only been

For those willing to carry on this discussion it should be  moved
to comp.sys.tahoe, (this group is specifically for the 6/32). For
others who are porting news on said machine with System V, 6/32's
use  the BSD directory structure so you must ifdef out the direc-
tory reading routines.  We do not need to go into what is or what
is  not true System V, since we can beat that (and each other) to
death in other groups.