[news.software.b] Problems with expiring news....

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (01/28/88)

Why do I have so many garbled news articles when I expire news?  Does
this indicate that there have been transmission errors and that there
is garbage in the news article?

I have all 14 patches installed in news 2.11.

I have an additional, but unrelated problem:  All of a sudden, one
day, the followup feature failed for a certain set of news groups.
None of the standard world-wide groups are affected, but most of the
groups in ads.all (a corporate-wide domain) are affected.  Postnews
works fine.  Replies work fine.  Followups to the standard groups work
fine too.  What's going on here?

--

John T. Nelson			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!jtn
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@potomac.ads.com

"Hi... My name is Hobbes.  I'm the product of a malicious 5-year old's
twisted and destructive imagination.  Would YOU like to be my friend?"

bernd@actisb.UUCP (Bernd-Gunter Nitzler) (01/30/88)

In article <3182@potomac.ads.com> jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) writes:
>Why do I have so many garbled news articles when I expire news?  Does
>this indicate that there have been transmission errors and that there
>is garbage in the news article?
>
>I have all 14 patches installed in news 2.11.

We have the same version of news also with all 14 patches in our UNIX V.
The history-files in the directory history.d were garbled every time
the system get new batched news while expire runs at the same time.
We had not noted garbled news articles yet, but we read not all news
articles so there can exist garbled articles too.

In our 4.2BSD system there are no problems at all with expire in the
same version of news. In this system there seems to be a bug with the
"sys"-file in .../lib/news. If we define anything else than "all,all.all"
for forwarding batched news to the next system there are a lot of
articles missing at the other end. We have not yet found anything
systematic in the missing articles.

--
Bernd-Gunter Nitzler                    VoiceNet: 49 / (30) 88 43 01-31
ACTIS in Berlin GmbH                    UUCP: mcvax!unido!tub!actisb!bernd