[news.software.b] Problems with the cancel feature...

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (02/20/88)

Anyone know what causes this problem?  Typing a 'c' (cancel) to an
article that you are author of complains that you are not the author.
Sounds like something simple but I haven't figured it out yet.

Ideas?

--

John T. Nelson			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!jtn
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@potomac.ads.com

"Hi... My name is Hobbes.  I'm the product of a malicious 5-year old's
twisted and destructive imagination.  Would YOU like to be my friend?"

greg@vertical.oz (Greg Bond) (02/23/88)

In article <3463@potomac.ads.com> jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) writes:
>Anyone know what causes this problem?  Typing a 'c' (cancel) to an
>article that you are author of complains that you are not the author.

A common problem in places, such as Australia, that use internet addressing.
vnews amd readnews assume bangland addressing, so the cancel code checks
"vertical!greg" against "greg@vertical". Somehow, strcmp finds them different...

Greg.
--
#define WHOAMI   Gregory Bond,  Vertical Software, Melbourne, Australia
#define ADDRESS  greg@vertical.oz, uunet!vertical.oz!greg