[news.software.b] News 2.11B patch #14

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (02/25/88)

      Thanks to John Lampert @ N3DMC I solved the problem with News
not compiling cleanly on Microport after upgrading to patch #14. The
problem (fix) lies in another definition in "defs.h". There is a
"define MKDIRSUB" that was commented out of previous versions and
with patch#14 needs to be un-commented out. This compiles cleanly now.
I still havn't actually upgraded my working copies of News as I am
still un-sure what the correct procedure is for upgrading a News
installation that is currently running on a lesser patch level. If
nothing else, Ill backup the whole system and try it "my way" :-)
Thanks for those submitting ideas.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: wa3wbu!john@uunet.UU.NET

james@bigtex.uu.net (James Van Artsdalen) (02/26/88)

In article <503@wa3wbu.UUCP>, john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
> [...] The
> problem (fix) lies in another definition in "defs.h". There is a
> "define MKDIRSUB" that was commented out of previous versions and
> with patch#14 needs to be un-commented out. This compiles cleanly now.

The 386 uPort unix (SysVr3) has mkdir() and rmdir() as system calls that
correcly make and remove directories using the effective user-id instead
of the real user-id.  MKDIRSUB should not be defined on the 386; only the
286.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746

alan@numm.nu (Alan Hargreaves) (02/29/88)

We are running a v7 system here, and i found that a reversal of the
ifdef MKDIRSUB
in funcs.c (ie ifdef -> ifndef) solved the problem of the nonexistant
mkdir(),rmdir() routines.

alan.