[news.software.b] News 3.0 & rn

dv@unicom.UUCP (David W. Vezie) (04/06/88)

Speaking of clearing up confusion.  There's one thing that I am
still unclear about.  Asside from Xref code, will rn work with 3.0 news?
David W. Vezie, Systems Hacker         |  "I support Star Wars (tm),
{{sun,ucbvax}!pixar,pacbell}!unicom!dv |           it's SDI I can't stand"

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (04/07/88)

In article <304@unicom.UUCP>, dv@unicom.UUCP (David W. Vezie) writes:
>Speaking of clearing up confusion.  There's one thing that I am
>still unclear about.  Asside from Xref code, will rn work with 3.0 news?

I have added DOXREFS support to 3.0. Here's the caveat on rn use from the
READ.ME file:

|			NON-STANDARD READERS
|
|If you are using an rn or vn distribution that hasn't been modified to use
|3.0 file formats, you may have some trouble with the new .newsrc files.
|
|Specifically, if you generate a .newsrc with readnews or vnews and then
|run unmodified rn or vn on it, rn/vn may not understand some of the 3.0
|constructs like unsubscribed-discussion IDs (generated by the ug command
|from readnews/vnews), or keyboard macro definitions, or the new 'option'
|line format that allows you to embed options for several different readers
|in your .newsrc. See news.5 in the man directory for details.
|
|Bob McQueer (bobm@rtech), author of vn, is working on a 3.0 conversion kit
|for vn. Bruce Bergman (bruceb@telesoft) is working on retrofitting the 3.0
|service libraries to rn. Until these make it into a patch, use caution.

And that's the way it is. The sources will go to comp.sources.unix as soon
as I get the NNTP and NFS changes back from Erik Fair and Mel Pleasant.
--
      Eric S. Raymond                     (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      UUCP: {{uunet,rutgers,ihnp4}!cbmvax,rutgers!vu-vlsi}!snark!eric