[news.software.b] too many newsgroups ?

m2@insyte.uucp (Mike Arena) (05/05/88)

In article <305@syntron.UUCP>, gerry@syntron.UUCP (G. Roderick Singleton) writes:
> In article <44295@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
> >If you are still running software so old that it has the AFSIZ
> >array in it, you have LOTS of other problems.
> >
> >It shouldn't take long to install the current release. You should
> >see real performance improvements by doing it.
> >
> >It doesn't seem unreasonable to update your software every YEAR
> >or two.
> >
> >---rick

I ran into this problem in version 2.10.3B.

What I would like to know is how do I get the new(est) version of news?
I have gathered from reading the news.* groups that 2.11 is the "official"
latest but I have also seen references to version 3.0 and another called
C-News.  I have asked the site that feeds us our news but they are
running an old version too.
Any help is, as always grealty appreciated.

					Michael J. Arena
					Innovative Systems Techniques
					UUCP: ... harvard!axiom!insyte!m2

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (05/05/88)

   What I would like to know is how do I get the new(est) version of news?

News2.11 plus patches 1-14 (as well as rn, NNTP 1.5, Gnews, pathalias
v9, and smail 2.5) are available for anonymous UUCP from osu-cis.
Instructions are posted with some frequency to comp.sources.d; or
write me mail and I'll send you a copy.

--Karl

> I have gathered from reading the news.* groups that 2.11 is the "official"
> latest but I have also seen references to version 3.0 and another called
> C-News...

What's called "official" depends on who's doing the calling, but to sum
up briefly:

2.11 is the current version of B news, the most widely-distributed news
system.  Most anybody should be able to help you get a copy of this.

C News is a rewrite of the transport and storage subsystems of B news for
greater performance and slightly improved functionality.  A preliminary
version of it went out to comp.sources.unix some months ago, followed by
a few updates posted here.  There hasn't been a newer release yet.

3.0 is a rewrite of all of B news, primarily for cleanliness and improved
functionality, although the people doing it are paying attention to the
things C News has done for improved performance.  It has not been released
yet.

Whether the future lies in C News or 3.0 is a bit unclear just now.
--
NASA is to spaceflight as            |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
the Post Office is to mail.          | {ihnp4,decvax,uunet!mnetor}!utzoo!henry