[news.software.b] `Distribution:' being ignored?

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (05/27/88)

A week or so ago, I sent out a `sendsys' request with the following
headers:

From: karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste)
Newsgroups: gnu.test.ctl
Subject: sendsys
Date: 17 May 88 13:09:28 GMT
Control: sendsys
Sender: news@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

The purpose was to find out how far the relatively new gnu.*
distribution was getting.  I got back a lot of valid responses, but I
also got back a small mountain of responses for sites which do not
accept the `gnu' distribution.  For example,

   From news@polya.stanford.edu Tue May 17 10:03:55 1988
   From: USENET News System <news@polya.stanford.edu>
   Date: 17 May 88 14:01:51 GMT
   To: karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu
   Subject: response to your sendsys request
   Responding-System: polya.STANFORD.EDU

   ME:all::
   labrea:csd,su,!su.roger-or-andy,ba,ca,usa,na,net,world,alt,soc,misc,sci,rec,talk,news,comp,to.labrea:L:/usr/lib/news/sendnews -a rnews@labrea
   maps:comp.mail.maps:F:/usr/local/lib/news/maps/comp.mail.maps/Batch

   From mcvax!datlog.co.uk!news@uunet.UU.NET Mon May 23 14:33:21 1988
   From: Usenet Administrator <mcvax!datlog.co.uk!news@uunet.UU.NET>
   Date: 20 May 88 22:28:45 GMT
   To: karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu
   Responding-System: dlvax2.datlog.co.uk

   dlvax2:all::true
   dlvax1/dlvax1:all,!local,to.dlvax1:F
   stc/tcom:all,!local,!general,!announce,!system,!vsw,!dl,to.stc:F
   maps:world,uk.news.map,to.maps::/usr/lib/maps/UNSHAR
   sol:world,dl,\
	comp.sys.ibm.pc,\
	comp.sources.unix,\
	comp.sources.misc,\
	mod.sources,\
	mod.protocols.kermit,\
	!local,general,announce,to.sol:F
   torch/torch:all,\
	!rec.music,!sci.physics,!mod.politics,\
	!rec.arts.sf-lovers,!comp.sys.atari.8bit,!comp.sys.atari.st,\
	!comp.sys.ibm.pc,!mod.computers.vax,\
	!local,!general,!announce,!system,!vsw,!dl,to.torch:F
   # slxsys/slxsys:all,!local,!general,!announce,!system,!vsw,!dl,to.slxsys:F

As you can plainly see, neither of these two sites contained any
mention of `gnu,' and both have extensive lists of what they do and
don't accept, hence I wasn't caught by matching against the `all'
wildcard.

Is the news propagation that badly broken that Distribution: headers
become rather irrelevant in many cases?  Is this just a case of
intermediate sites with old software inadvertently passing on the
message when they should not have?

--Karl

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (05/28/88)

They get everything (see 'all') that anyone cares to send them, but
they don't pass everything along.  Thus, the two sites you mentioned
get gnu.* but don't feed anyone (including their feeds).  Anything
they post to gnu.* will not leave their site.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
		Go Celts!	Go Bruins!

weening@polya.Stanford.EDU (Joe Weening) (05/28/88)

In article <14466@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:

[description of a `sendsys' message to find out how far the gnu dis-
 tribution is getting, followed by two example sys files including: ]

>   From news@polya.stanford.edu Tue May 17 10:03:55 1988
>   From: USENET News System <news@polya.stanford.edu>
>   Date: 17 May 88 14:01:51 GMT
>   To: karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu
>   Subject: response to your sendsys request
>   Responding-System: polya.STANFORD.EDU
>
>   ME:all::
>   labrea:csd,su,!su.roger-or-andy,ba,ca,usa,na,net,world,alt,soc,misc,sci,rec,talk,news,comp,to.labrea:L:/usr/lib/news/sendnews -a rnews@labrea
>   maps:comp.mail.maps:F:/usr/local/lib/news/maps/comp.mail.maps/Batch

As I understand it, the "ME" line indicates what we accept; the
"labrea" line indicates what we send to labrea.  The above sys file is
in fact broken since it allowed us to receive gnu messages but not
forward them.  The only effect, though, is that postings from local
users would not leave the local host.  We still got all the incoming
traffic including your sendsys message.

I noticed this problem a few days after you sent out the sendsys
message, so we now have a sys file that sends out gnu and other
distributions that we have started receiving.  Not all of the other
hosts at Stanford have been fixed yet, though.  Anyone reading this
might want to check their sys files to see if they are correct.