[news.software.b] suggested change for postnews

kak@stc-auts.UUCP (Kris Kugel) (06/14/88)

When I post an article to more than one newsgroup, and one of teh
newsgroups is moderated, the article is posted ONLY to the moderated
newsgroup (by mail).  I don't mind this, but I don't think the postnews
program should do this SILENTLY - perhaps an added query or warning is needed?

  "comp.sys.sun   is a moderated newsgroup, and must be posted to separately"

It took me a while to figure out what was going on, and meanwhile,
I kept increasing the number of groups I tried cross-posting articles to,
because of the low number of responses. . .

	Kris A. Kugel
	Storage Tek: { uunet!nbires ncar decvax }!stcvax!stc-auts!kak

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (06/17/88)

In article <267@stc-auts.UUCP>, kak@stc-auts.UUCP (Kris Kugel) writes:
> When I post an article to more than one newsgroup, and one of teh
> newsgroups is moderated, the article is posted ONLY to the moderated
> newsgroup (by mail).  I don't mind this, but I don't think the postnews
> program should do this SILENTLY - perhaps an added query or warning is needed?
>
>   "comp.sys.sun   is a moderated newsgroup, and must be posted to separately"
>
> It took me a while to figure out what was going on, and meanwhile,
> I kept increasing the number of groups I tried cross-posting articles to,
> because of the low number of responses. . .

The idea is that the moderator is supposed to post your article with
the Newsgroups line intact so that it goes out as a singler cross
posted message instead of two, one for the moderated groups and one
for the unmoderated. At least that's thje way I've seen it explained
other times this was discussed. If the moderator is stripping out extra
newsgroupos maybe you should speak to him.

I agree there should be a message but

	"comp.sys.sun   is a modearted newsgroup, your message will be
	 posted to all newsgroups by the moderator"

Fits better.

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	utgpu!ontmoh!------------\              VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623