[news.software.b] Need help with BATCH for B news 2.11

ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (06/26/88)

(-: Please forgive me if these are dumb questions, but this is my first
setup of the USENET news software :-)

I've got everything compiled on my 3B1 and the USENET and RN software seems
to work fine locally, so my next step is to set up a newsfeed.  In reading
the docs I'm puzzled by Appendix A (Setting up a Compressed, Batched Newsfeed).
It says "First, BATCH must have been #define'd when you built the source
directory.  BATCH should be defined as a program name (by default, unbatch)."

Well, I've grepped through all the def.*, localize.* and *.c files and don't
see ANY reference to BATCH.  Does it really need to be #define'd?  All of the
other #defines that I'm not using have been /* commented out */, but BATCH
just doesn't seem to be there at all.  If I just want to use the default
"unbatch" program, do I need to define BATCH, or will adding the the "F" flag
to the third field in my newsfeed's sys entry take care of everything?

Also, appendix A says to add a line to your crontab which runs *hourly*
saying "sendbatch -c frobozz".  My newsfeed is a long distance call, so
I really don't want to call it hourly.  Does "sendbatch" just spool news
for regualar UUCP transfers, or does it initiate a call?  Why should it
be run hourly instead of once a day?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!  Any other suggestions/tips for
sending batched, compressed news would be most welcome.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::  Boyd Ostroff, Technical Director   :: System Operator, "The CallBoard"
:: Department of Theatre, SUNY Oswego  :: - Serving the performing arts -
:: Internet: ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU :: (315) 947-6414, 300/1200 baud, 8N1
::        Voice: (315) 341-2138        :: UUCP ...sunybcs!oswego!cboard!ostroff
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

)) (06/27/88)

In article <831@oswego.Oswego.EDU> ostroff@oswego.UUCP (Boyd Ostroff) writes:
>I've got everything compiled on my 3B1 and the USENET and RN software seems
>to work fine locally, so my next step is to set up a newsfeed.  In reading
>the docs I'm puzzled by Appendix A (Setting up a Compressed, Batched Newsfeed).
>It says "First, BATCH must have been #define'd when you built the source
>directory.  BATCH should be defined as a program name (by default, unbatch)."

BATCH is obsolete - doesn't apply to 2.11 - the BATCH program of 2.10 and
previous has been moved inside "rnews".  Actually, BATCH was only used
for *incoming* batches.  You do need BATCHDIR set properly though.

The "F" flag in the sys file simply appends the file name of an article
into a file in the BATCHDIR with the same name as the site (unless you
specify a full path name in the sys file).  Sendbatch takes this list
of file names and cuts it into batches controlled by the sendbatch parameters
as to how large, compression etc.

>Also, appendix A says to add a line to your crontab which runs *hourly*
>saying "sendbatch -c frobozz".  My newsfeed is a long distance call, so
>I really don't want to call it hourly.  Does "sendbatch" just spool news
>for regualar UUCP transfers, or does it initiate a call?  Why should it
>be run hourly instead of once a day?

sendbatch does invoke "uux" - which queues it for uucp.  Whether or
not uux automatically starts up uucp is up to uux.  You can parameterize
this (if your UUCP supports it) with the following macros in
localize.sh (ultimately creating) defs.h:

#define DFTXMIT	"uux - -r -z -gd %s!rnews < %s" /* your uux can't do it	*/
#define UXMIT	"uux -r -z -gd -c %s!rnews '<' %s" /* If uux -c is ok	*/

If I recall correctly: "-r" means queue but don't call.  "-z" means
send ack only if the remote execute fails, and "-gd" is grade.  Your
uux probably supports -r, but probably not -gd.  "-z" is implemented by
the neighbor (if at all).  If you use HDB or BSD4.3 UUCP the grades
can be used to great advantage (Eg: you prioritize communications, and
can set things up to only transmit stuff that matches a certain grade
at certain times - eg: you can queue news in UUCP at any time, but only
transfer mail during working hours).  "SPOOLNEWS" is also handy as well
for controlling when incoming batches are processed.

Whether you want to invoke sendbatch every hour is up to you.  If you
only want to send batches during off-hours, you probably want to run
sendbatch hourly during off-hours only.  Running sendbatch more frequently
evens out processing load, but may fragment batches somewhat.  Compress
is usually a big performance hit and is invoked from sendbatch so only run
it during the times you don't mind it.
--
Chris Lewis, Spectrix Microsystems Inc, Phone: (416)-474-1955
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo, lsuc, yunexus}!spectrix!clewis