[news.software.b] Bounced incoming news

graham@geovision.uucp (Graham Ashby) (06/23/88)

I am having trouble with the following groups:
comp.mail.elm, comp.std.c, comp.sources.games.bugs, comp.society.futures

What happens is that when they are recieved here, they are immediately
sent out as if they had originated here.  Of course there is a bogus
address and person generated (well, they might not be bogus where they
really are :-)

These are not the only moderated groups, but other moderated groups are fine.

Is there anything I can do?  I am totally lost on this.
Thanks

Graham Ashby, GeoVision Corp, Ottawa, Canada  {uunet,watmath}!geovision!graham

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) (06/27/88)

In article <351@geovision.UUCP>, graham@geovision.uucp (Graham Ashby) writes:
> I am having trouble with the following groups:
> comp.mail.elm, comp.std.c, comp.sources.games.bugs, comp.society.futures
>
> What happens is that when they are recieved here, they are immediately
> sent out as if they had originated here.  Of course there is a bogus
> address and person generated (well, they might not be bogus where they
> really are :-)
>
> These are not the only moderated groups, but other moderated groups are fine.

If anyone knows the answer, please tell me, too.  I can impart some information
that you probably don't want to know, however.

A couple months ago, I got a few (obviously machine-generated) letters from
some daemon at berkeley, informing me that my news software was doing this,
and I was a turkey because I hadn't diligently installed all the updates,
one of which would correct this problem.  I was ordered to install all the
updates, or they would continue to shoot down articles from me.

Well, I took the hint, and I am now up to patch level 13.  Did it solve the
problem?  Not on your life!  My inews is still re-transmitting all articles
in comp.std.c (the only one of the above four that I allow on my machine ;-)
to a bogus recipient, and they end up in my mailbox the next day.

Not only that, but there are a LOT of other things now broken that weren't
before.  For instance, you may have noticed the lack of a Summary: line in
my headers.  If I accept the invitation to do one of these (from readnews
or vnews), the result is that some unspecified subprocess (I suspect it's
inews) bombs out with a Segmentation Fault.

Maybe someday I'll hunt it down.  On the other hand, I probably won't.  I've
already wasted far too much time just getting to the point where I can get
a followup posted.  I've given up making "rnews -U" work (it just exits with
status=0), and use a script that runs thru the .rnews/* files one at a time.
And on and on...

Were the letters from the Berkeley daemon a hoax?  Was some upgrade supposed
to fix this problem?  Can someone point me at the culprit code?

Sending patches may be pointless; I've had to add so incredibly much debug
output to find all the dereferenced null pointers and overrun buffers and
all the other things wrong, that I doubt I'll ever be able to apply a patch
to any of the files again.  Some of my source files are more than twice their
original size, all from added "if (debug>5) fprintf(...)" statements.

Oh, well, at least rnews no longer builds both history and history.d/[0-9].
That's a big gain, at least.

I hope 3.0 news is better debugged before it is released.

--
John Chambers <{adelie,ima,maynard,mit-eddie}!minya!{jc,root}> (617/484-6393)

[Any errors in the above are due to failures in the logic of the keyboard,
not in the fingers that did the typing.]

erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) (06/29/88)

In article <48@minya.UUCP> jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:
|In article <351@geovision.UUCP>, graham@geovision.uucp (Graham Ashby) writes:
|> I am having trouble with the following groups:
|> comp.mail.elm, comp.std.c, comp.sources.games.bugs, comp.society.futures
|> What happens is that when they are recieved here, they are immediately
|> sent out as if they had originated here.  Of course there is a bogus
|> address and person generated (well, they might not be bogus where they
|> really are :-)
|>
|> These are not the only moderated groups, but other moderated groups are fine.

These groups are now unmoderated.  You should mark them as such.
--
                                        Skate UNIX or go home, boogie boy...
"But why should I type "rm -r $HOME" if I want to play trek???"