[news.software.b] Cnews vs. News 3.0

simmons@applga.uucp (Steve Simmons) (06/24/88)

Pardon my ignorance, but are these completely separate efforts?  If so,
does anyone know if they are compatible with each other?
--
+- Steve Simmons            UNIX Systems Mgr.         Schlumberger CAD/CAM -+
+  simmons@applga.uucp                              ...umix!applga!simmons  +

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (06/30/88)

In article <784@applga.uucp>, simmons@applga.uucp (Steve Simmons) writes:
>Pardon my ignorance, but are these completely separate efforts?  If so,
>does anyone know if they are compatible with each other?

Yes, 3.0 and C news are completely separate efforts, but they are compatible
in the sense that they should interoperate nicely. From my (just possibly
biased ;-) point of view as the 3.0 person, the differences between the
three major versions can be summed up as:

	B2.x -- what the world uses now. It works, but it's slow, poorly
		organized, and haphazardly coded (too many cooks...).

	C news -- lean, mean and speedy. No readers provided. Brilliant,
		idiosyncratic coding. Well tested, but some rough edges
		remain.

	B 3.0 -- news deluxe. Everything documented, everything modularized.
		All-new readers as well as transport layer, beginnings of
		hypertext facilities. Not yet well tested, public beta in
		progress now. Not quite as whizzingly fast as C news but
		much easier to install, administer and modify.

I'll send you the 3.0 brag-sheet by email (it's already been posted once).

--
      Eric S. Raymond                     (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      UUCP: {{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax,rutgers!vu-vlsi,att}!snark!eric