[news.software.b] group exclusion is sys file

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) (07/16/88)

I've got a minor problem that I can't seem to solve by reading the news
documentation, and I don't have time to pour through the source.  We're
running a group batching arrangement [thanks, csg@pyramid] using the
following sys file lines:

leaf_main:inet,world,na,usa,ca,ba,comp,news,sci,misc,rec,soc,gnu,biz,\
unix-pc,bionet,usrgroup,alt:F:
leaf_rest:world,na,usa,ca,ba,!comp.all,!news.all,!sci.all,!misc.all,!rec.all,\
!soc.all,!alt.all,!ba.all,!ca.all,talk:F:

The idea is that leaf_main gets all groups other than talk, and leaf_rest gets
only talk.  The problem is that leaf_rest still gets anything crossposted from
talk to a non-talk group.  As a result, these articles are batched in both
leaf_main and leaf_rest.  Is there some way to keep these crossposted articles
out of leaf_rest?
--
*  *  *  O     Larry Blair            altnet!---\
  *  *  *  O   VICOM Systems Inc.     pyramid!---\

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) (07/21/88)

Carl Gutekunst <csg@pyramid> responded to my request with the following:
> That's easy: use the same hostname for all the batches, but use different
> batch file names, as in:
>
> leaf:world,na,usa,ca,ba,!ca.all,!ba.all,talk:F:/usr/spool/batch/leaf_rest
> leaf:inet,world,na,usa,ca,ba,comp,news,sci,misc,rec,soc,gnu,biz,\
> unix-pc,bionet,usrgroup,alt:F:/usr/spool/batch/leaf_main
>
> Note that you probably want talk to come first, so that anything cross-posted
> to talk goes to the leaf_rest file.

Actually, I want the crossposted articles to be in leaf_main and not in
leaf_rest, so I need to reverse the order here.  This created one more minor
problem for me:  Here, in the ba region, many sites post statistics (the
output of Erik Fair's report_awk script) to ba.news every week.  To accurately
account for my group batched leaves, I pass the logs through sed before awking
them, changing references to leaf_main and leaf_rest to the actual site names.
Since both would now show up simply as "leaf", I wouldn't accurately depict
the traffic.  The solution:

leaf_main:inet,world,na,usa,ca,ba,comp,news,sci,misc,rec,soc,gnu,biz,\
unix-pc,bionet,usrgroup,alt:F:
leaf_rest:inet,world,na,usa,ca,ba,comp,news,sci,misc,rec,soc,gnu,biz,\
unix-pc,bionet,usrgroup,alt:F:/dev/null
leaf_rest:world,na,usa,ca,ba,!comp.all,!news.all,!sci.all,!misc.all,\
!rec.all,!soc.all,!alt.all,!ba.all,!ca.all,talk:F:

I probably don't need all the !*.all entries, but they don't hurt.

An interesting observation is that for sites that don't like talk.all,

site:world,talk:F:/dev/null
site:world,all.all:F:

will eliminate not only talk.all, but anything crossposted to talk as well.
I intend to offer this as an option to my leaf that doesn't want talk.
--
*  *  *  O     Larry Blair            ames!-----\
  *  *  *  O   San Jose, CA  95134    altnet!----/
*  *  *  O     +1-408-432-8660        sun!------/