[news.software.b] rn in Followup

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (08/11/88)

This is an odd one, maybe someone has seen it before.  I tried to
find it in the rn source but couldn't.

When I follow up an article in rn everything works just fine but a
few moments after I hit the `s' to Send, I'll get something that
looks like stderr on the status line of the next article

sh: L4 not found

Does anyone know what that is or how to stop it?  It doesn't seem to
hurt anything and the follow-up seems to go out OK.  I don't ever
remember seing it until I recompiled for AT&T 386 UNIX.  The only "L4"
that showed up in a grep of the source directory was in the compressed
shar.
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,rutgers,sun!daver,uunet!bigtex}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (08/11/88)

In article <228@ssbn.WLK.COM> bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>few moments after I hit the `s' to Send, I'll get something that
>looks like stderr on the status line of the next article
>
>sh: L4 not found
>
>Does anyone know what that is or how to stop it?

  Since I just finished tearing my hair out for a month or so over something
similar to this, I got a pretty good guess.  The problem isn't in rn, it's
in your sys file (usually /usr/lib/news/sys) More than likely you have a syntax
error there (from the "L4" I'm guessing you've got one too many colons on
one of the lines). I ran into something similar when I'd see

sh: /usr/spool/batch/husc6.harvard.edu not found

It turned out to be that I had converted over to sending only locally-generated
articles to this site, and had turned the flag field from "F" to "L2".
Unfortunately this changed the meaning of the last field in the sys file,
so it was now trying to execute the batch file as a command. (I wanted
"L2F" of course). In this case if you've got one too many colons, the default
is "L" in the flag field, and you might have what you thought was the flag
field "L4" trying to be executed as a command.

--Greg