[news.software.b] Paging in rn

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (08/11/88)

This is so trivial I'm not sure I should post it but if it's as handy to
someone else as it was to me then I'll take the other flames.

Being a SysV type I became accustomed to pg which uses Return for the next
page as opposed to more which uses a space.  Since pg is my mail pager I
was always hitting space when pg wanted Return and vice versa in rn.  Today
I lost my patience and changed it in rn.  If you replace case '\n': on line
704 in art.c with case ' ': and case ' ': on line 829 with case '\n': you
will reverse the meaning of the two characters.

Sorry if this is so obvious or if I'm the fiftieth person to "discover" it
but like I said, if it helps someone else...
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,rutgers,sun!daver,uunet!bigtex}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (08/12/88)

In article <229@ssbn.WLK.COM> bill@carpet.UUCP (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>Being a SysV type I became accustomed to pg which uses Return for the next
>page as opposed to more which uses a space.  Since pg is my mail pager I
>was always hitting space when pg wanted Return and vice versa in rn.  Today
>I lost my patience and changed it in rn.  If you replace case '\n': on line
>704 in art.c with case ' ': and case ' ': on line 829 with case '\n': you
>will reverse the meaning of the two characters.

rn has redefinable keys.  It was unnecessary for you to modify the
code to get the effect you wanted.  As gently as possible, I'd like to
suggest that people actually understand a program before they attempt
to change it.  (If I were not interested in gentleness, I'd simply say
"RTFM").  I repeatedly see people ask for patches or code changes to
make news 2.11 or rn do things they do already.  Both programs have a
great deal of flexibility.

--
- Joe Buck  {uunet,ucbvax,pyramid,<smart-site>}!epimass.epi.com!jbuck
jbuck@epimass.epi.com	Old Arpa mailers: jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net