[news.software.b] using Path: for mail replies

blarson@skat.usc.edu (Bob Larson) (08/22/88)

[note redirected followups, this is straying from a mail issue to a news one.]

In article <do0ro#3cRrZV=eric@snark.UUCP> eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>I understand the problem you've been discussing, but I have rejected (for now)
>the idea of eliminating Path lines as available for reply generation.

How about at least defining a standard way to indicate the path is not
a valid mail address?  (This should be true on moderated newsgroups
and articles recieved via recmail.) Would any software break (other
than the already broken software that assumes path is a valid mail
address) if the string following the last ! was null?

(Moderaters who try to ensure the path line contains a uucp mail
path to the poster prevent the article going to those sites
mentioned.)

--
Bob Larson	Arpa: Blarson@Ecla.Usc.Edu	blarson@skat.usc.edu
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,cit-vax}!oberon!skat!blarson