[news.software.b] .*

pokey@well.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) (08/30/88)

Care to guess what happens if you use rn's "k" command to kill this subject?

Go on, try it.
---
Jef

             Jef Poskanzer   jef@rtsg.ee.lbl.gov   ...well!pokey
                           Batteries not included.

pst@comdesign.CDI.COM (Paul Traina) (08/31/88)

From article <6967@well.UUCP>, by pokey@well.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer):
> Care to guess what happens if you use rn's "k" command to kill this subject?

Well, no one would want to add it to their kill file unless someone started
some mindless bunch of followups... :-(  (sorry, I know, but I couldn't
resist).
--
Paul Traina				To believe that what is true for
{uunet|pyramid}!comdesign!pst		you in your private heart is true

mjy@sdti.UUCP (Michael J. Young) (08/31/88)

In article <6967@well.UUCP> Jef Poskanzer <jef@rtsg.ee.lbl.gov> writes:
>Care to guess what happens if you use rn's "k" command to kill this subject?
>
>Go on, try it.

Marking subject ".*" as read.

Searching...
done

End of newsgroup news.software.b

Looks ok to me.
--
Mike Young - Software Development Technologies, Inc., Sudbury MA 01776
UUCP     : {decvax,harvard,linus,mit-eddie}!necntc!necis!mrst!sdti!mjy

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (09/02/88)

In article <6967@well.UUCP> Jef Poskanzer <jef@rtsg.ee.lbl.gov> writes:
>Care to guess what happens if you use rn's "k" command to kill this subject?

Well I put the kill command in my KILL file, and it seemed to work fine.

BTW, it's been awfully quiet in this newsgroup recently.  I wonder
why?
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (09/02/88)

In article <3840@bsu-cs.UUCP>, dhesi@bsu-cs (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>In article <6967@well.UUCP> Jef Poskanzer <jef@rtsg.ee.lbl.gov> writes:
>>Care to guess what happens if you use rn's "k" command to kill this subject?

>Well I put the kill command in my KILL file, and it seemed to work fine.

I think what Jef is saying is, in some cryptic fashion, is that there's
a bug in rn where regexps in subject lines aren't quoted.  Otherwise
there's no point to his posting.

Thus, killing the subject "a+b" won't work.  Gnews doesn't have this
problem, since Emacs has a convenient regexp-quote function.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720