[news.software.b] rn and multiple reads of cross posted articles

gardner@athsys.uucp (Gardner Cohen) (09/18/88)

Hi.  I have the following version of rn:
@(#)$Header: rn.c,v 4.3.1.4 85/09/10 11:05:13 lwall Exp $
and 2.11 news patched to level 14.

I get xref lines in my articles, but rn still shows me duplicate
articles.  I recompiled with DOXREFS defined, and enabled debugging,
and found that inews_site in bits.c was not getting set; it expected
to find a system name in a Relay-version line.  It only accepts xref
lines with matching system names.

My short term solution was to hack my machine name into inews_site.
None of my articles or my news feed's articles have Relay-version
lines.

What is the real solution?  Do I need even later patches to rn?

I've seen this problem mentioned in the past in this newsgroup, but
saw no responses.  I'm happy with the current solution, and hope this
helps others.

Gardner Cohen   sun!athsys!gardner

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (09/19/88)

In article <144@proteus.UUCP> gardner@athsys.UUCP (Gardner Cohen) writes:
>Hi.  I have the following version of rn:
>@(#)$Header: rn.c,v 4.3.1.4 85/09/10 11:05:13 lwall Exp $
>and 2.11 news patched to level 14.

>I get xref lines in my articles, but rn still shows me duplicate
>articles....

Your version of rn is too old.  In version 2.10.3, the Relay-Version
header was dropped; in the original rn, this header was used to do
Xref processing.  Now it's done a different way.

Get a newer rn (try one of the comp.sources.* archive sites).  If
anyone has a newer rn and sees this problem, there are a couple of
possible causes:

a) You didn't define DOXREFS when you built 2.11 news,

b) You didn't answer "y" to rn's "Configure" question, "Are you
running at least version 2.10.3 of news".
--
- Joe Buck, card-carrying ACLU liberal
	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, or uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck,

gardner@athsys.uucp (Gardner Cohen) (09/20/88)

Several people responded to my problem.  All of them said the same
thing.  My rn was too old.  I got the latest version (I could swear I
had applied all 4000 patches when I grabbed it from uunet), and
everything works fine.  Thanks to Joe Buck, Bill Wisner, and my news
feed, Dave Rand.

Gardner Cohen  sun!athsys!gardner

pcolby@robbie.prime.com (Peter Colby) (09/20/88)

In article <2484@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
>In article <144@proteus.UUCP> gardner@athsys.UUCP (Gardner Cohen) writes:
>>Hi.  I have the following version of rn:
>>@(#)$Header: rn.c,v 4.3.1.4 85/09/10 11:05:13 lwall Exp $
>>and 2.11 news patched to level 14.
>
>>I get xref lines in my articles, but rn still shows me duplicate
>>articles....
>
>Your version of rn is too old.  In version 2.10.3, the Relay-Version
>header was dropped; in the original rn, this header was used to do
>Xref processing.  Now it's done a different way.
>
>Get a newer rn (try one of the comp.sources.* archive sites).  ...

There is actually a better way.  Unfortunately, just getting the version of
rn from rn doesn't give you enough info. What you need to do is go to the
rn sources, look at patchlevel.h to see what patch level you are at and
order all the subsequent patches from Larry Wall at JPL/NASA. rn 4.3 is
currently up to patchlevel 40.

Here, direct from lwall@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov are instructions on how
to do so:

	If you send a mail message of the following form it will greatly speed
	processing:

	Subject: Command
	@SH mailpatch PATH rn 4.3 LIST
		   ^
		   notice the c

	where PATH is a return path FROM ME TO YOU in bang notation, and LIST
	is a list of one or more patches you need, separated by spaces, commas
	and/or hyphens.  Saying n- will give you everything from n on up.

Good Luck

UUCP: {sun,linus,decvax}!cvbnet!pcolby
UUCP: pcolby@robbie.prime.com
CSNET: pcolby@robbie.prime.com