[news.software.b] need patch for controlling cross-posted articles

gam@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Gordon Moffett) (09/17/88)

I'm looking for a patch to 2.11 news that does the following:

	If an article is cross-posted, generate a "Followup-To:" line
	which includes only ONE newsgroup, which is the first in the
	list from the "Newsgroups:" line.  (An existing non-null
	"Followup-To:" line would not be overridden.)

Has this been done?  I think this would be a popular patch.
--
Gordon A. Moffett                             gam@uts.amdahl.com
+1 408 746-8287		      {ames,sun,uunet,decwrl}!amdahl!gam

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (09/19/88)

In article <b5HEn3dpwG1010UMCaU@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> Gordon Moffett writes:
> 	If an article is cross-posted, generate a "Followup-To:" line
> 	which includes only ONE newsgroup, which is the first in the
> 	list from the "Newsgroups:" line.  (An existing non-null
> 	"Followup-To:" line would not be overridden.)

In 3.0, the Newsgroups line on a followup is truncated to the first group
unless the '-C' option has been given to postnews. This gives a similar
effect without raising the retransmission overhead on the article.

--
      Eric S. Raymond                     (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      UUCP: ...!{uunet,att,rutgers}!snark!eric = eric@snark.UUCP

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (09/20/88)

In article <dySyD#22hTF7=eric@snark.UUCP>, eric@snark (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>In 3.0, the Newsgroups line on a followup is truncated to the first group
>unless the '-C' option has been given to postnews.

Gnews does this too.  No flag is available to change this.  In 2.0, I've
added a C-c C-n to Reply mode that gives quick insertion of newsgroup
names using standard Emacs name completion.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

msb@sq.uucp (Mark Brader) (09/23/88)

> >In 3.0, the Newsgroups line on a followup is truncated to the first group
> >unless the '-C' option has been given to postnews.
>
> Gnews does this too.  No flag is available to change this. ...

This is absolutely the wrong thing to do.  The Newsgroups line specifies
a *set* of newsgroups, all equivalent; there has never been any understanding
that one was more important than the rest.

The result of this behavior is that people who read a message first in a
group which is not the one mentioned first, and post a followup, will not
find the article in the place they thought they were following up to, and
will probably post it again!

The *right* thing to do is for the posting software to *warn* people when
they're posting

	[1] a followup to a cross-posted article, or
	[2] a followup to any article with a followup-to line,

and give them an extra chance to change the Newsgroups line.
This should happen after they have edited the article body.

The posting program should also *demand* a Followup-To line on all
cross-posted articles, whether originating or followups.  This again
should happen *after* the article body is prepared.  And any time the
user specifies a Followup-To line different from the Newsgroups line, it
should then ask:

	Would you like to re-edit the message, to include a warning
	telling what your Followup-To line says?

If you're going to apply a fix, apply the right fix!

And while you're at it, I further suggest that after people have edited
the message, they should be reminded of the Subject line and given a
chance to change that, and then be prompted for a Summary line.

Mark Brader, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com
		"Everything that can be invented has been invented."
		-- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. patent office, 1899

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (09/28/88)

Thank you, Mr. Brader, for a well and forcefully-stated reality check.

In article <1988Sep23.122756.22442@sq.uucp>, msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) writes:
> This is absolutely the wrong thing to do.  The Newsgroups line specifies
> a *set* of newsgroups, all equivalent; there has never been any understanding
> that one was more important than the rest.

True. I implemented the -C flag in response to suggestions from a couple of my
beta sites. You've shown that they didn't think the problem through, nor did I.

> The *right* thing to do is for the posting software to *warn* people when
> they're posting [a followup to a crosspost or anything with a Followup-To]
> and give them an extra chance to change the Newsgroups line.
> This should happen after they have edited the article body.

Done. Actually what I have postnews do is offer to bounce the user back into
the editor if the Followup-To differs from Newsgroups.

> The posting program should also *demand* a Followup-To line on all
> cross-posted articles, whether originating or followups.

Done.

> If you're going to apply a fix, apply the right fix!

Quite so. And, failing that, one should at least have one's brain in gear
enough to recognize the right fix when suggested, and *then* apply it...
the -C option is now dead.

> And while you're at it, I further suggest that after people have edited
> the message, they should be reminded of the Subject line and given a
> chance to change that, and then be prompted for a Summary line.

Both excellent suggestions. Done and done.

My beta sites will receive these changes in Patch #6.