[news.software.b] ihave/sendme

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (11/21/87)

I am looking for expert assistance in the use of the ihave/sendme type
protocol.  What I REALLY want to do is to be able to generate messages which
tell my feeding site "Whoops!  Some how I missed this article when unbatching.
Can you please resend it?".  I dont want a lot of overhead typically, this
is usually a once in a while situation - I run out of disk space, permission
modes wrong, something.  When I try to post a message to the control
group to have the feed sendme the articles, it only appears locally.  I assume
that somewhere a flag has been compiled in that keep control postings
local.  What I REALLY want is some how to limit distribution to JUST the
site feeding me.

Anyone have any ideas?

One other, unrelated question.  If one has a series of uucico's running, and
for some reason have to stop things quickly, what is the best techniques
to do this?  Is there a signal to send it to say 'cleanly shut down after
the current batch, removing all lock files and leaving all unprocessed batches
for later handling?"  Something like this would be nice to have in the routine
which shuts down a system for maintenance, standalone time, etc.

Thanks!!
--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (11/23/87)

In article <347@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

> I am looking for expert assistance in the use of the ihave/sendme type
> protocol.  What I REALLY want to do is to be able to generate messages which
> tell my feeding site "Whoops!  Some how I missed this article when unbatching.
> Can you please resend it?".  I dont want a lot of overhead typically, this

Try the following script, which is used as:

    askfor site-name < list-of-article-id's

For example, when all the i-nodes magically disappear on my news partition
(a weird problem that only affects that partition), I run the following
command:

    egrep 'No space' /usr/lib/news/errlog | cut -f2 | askfor trwrb

The script runs for quite a while because it posts lots of articles
to control (even though it does batch ID's as much as it thinks it can),
so you should run it in background.

	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   {uunet,trwrb}!desint!geoff

P.S.  For BSD sites, xargs is being used here to group article ID's into
lines of 60 characters.  You can do the same thing with awk or directly
in the shell, or you cn try to get xargs from the net.
-----------cut here, and don't forget my signature at the end!------------
: Use /bin/sh
#
# $Header$
#
# $Log$
#
#	Ask a news neighbor for specific articles.
#
#	Usage:
#
#	askfor dest-site < list-of-article-ids
OURSITE=`uname -n`
INEWS=/usr/lib/news/inews

case $# in
    1) ;;
    *)
	echo 'Usage:  askfor dest-site < list-of-article-ids' 1>&2
	exit 1
	;;
esac

DEST=$1
TMP=/tmp/askfor$$
trap "/bin/rm ${TMP}?; exit 1" 1 2 15
echo 'Thank you' > ${TMP}a
xargs -s60 echo > ${TMP}b
while read arts
do
    $INEWS -n to.$DEST -t "cmsg sendme $arts $OURSITE" < ${TMP}a
done < ${TMP}b
/bin/rm ${TMP}?
exit
--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   {uunet,trwrb}!desint!geoff

koblas@mips.COM (David Koblas) (10/03/88)

I'm offically stumped.  I've set up a ihave/sendme feed, and there is a
problem where 'mips' (a machine) thinks that it is another machine
'linus'.  Now hardcoding "mips" into the sendbatch script still
generates a 'ihave linus' control messages.  So my question becomes,
has anyone ever heard/had this problem, or can someone point me to a
section of the news software that I can go over with a fine tooth comb
to track down this problem.  This problem has only effected the
ihave/sendme side of the world, everthing else is just fine beliving
that 'mips' is 'mips'.

--
name : David Koblas         place: MIPS Computers Systems
phone: 408-991-0287         uucp : {ames,decwrl,pyramid,wyse}!mips!koblas