[news.software.b] News 3.0

wisner@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (06/15/88)

Well, Eric, where is it?
--
Bill Wisner
..!{ames,att,decwrl,ihnp4,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!wisner

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (06/17/88)

In article <4460@killer.UUCP> wisner@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) writes:
| Well, Eric, where is it?

  I'm NOT the only one... I was supposed to be a beta site for N3.0 on
xenix[23]86 and a few other systems, and never heard anything?

  How about a status report?
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (06/18/88)

In article <11271@steinmetz.ge.com> bill davidsen writes:
>In article <4460@killer.UUCP> wisner@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) writes:
>| Well, Eric, where is it?
>
>  I'm NOT the only one... I was supposed to be a beta site for N3.0 on
>xenix[23]86 and a few other systems, and never heard anything?

Sorry, I did email you about this. Two SCO XENIX people, Steph Marr and Keith
Reynolds, are now semi-officially working on the XENIX port; I figured I'd
send you a version known to work under it. They're busy right now pre-USENIX,
but have said they do (what should be) the final test cycle after.

>  How about a status report?

I just posted a short one, but here goes again.

I think I'm ready for release, and am just polishing at this point (things
like adding multi-user interlocking and shareable format to the history
database handling routines, and improving the organization of the library
code a bit).

But I'm waiting on the NNTP and NFS support changes Erik Fair and Mel Pleasant
have been promising. I'm not going to wait much longer, this thing has slipped
too long as it is. Time for another round of trying to get people to move
faster.

I guess I have to set myself a deadline. I'll ship what I have August 1st.
If that's missing NNTP/NFS code, that'll just have to do; it can be a patch.

--
      Eric S. Raymond                     (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      UUCP: {{uunet,rutgers,ihnp4}!cbmvax,rutgers!vu-vlsi,att}!snark!eric

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (06/20/88)

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) wrote:
> I think I'm ready for release, and am just polishing at this point...
> But I'm waiting on the NNTP and NFS support changes...
> I guess I have to set myself a deadline. I'll ship what I have August 1st.
> If that's missing NNTP/NFS code, that'll just have to do; it can be a patch.

I've talked with Eric about this, but maybe it's time to get the net
involved.  IT'S SUICIDE TO RELEASE A MAJOR NETNEWS RELEASE WITHOUT SERIOUS
TESTING!

Last I talked with him, News 3.0 was running on about 5 machines, TOTAL.
It's only running in production on ONE -- snark, Eric's machine.

It needs to go through alpha and a beta tests with say 10 sites using it
in production in alpha, and 50 in beta.  I'd recommend having a couple
of backbone sites in the alpha test, and upgrading most of the rest
of the backbone toward the end of the beta test.  After it has burned-in
for a month or so, and it really works and really ports and has true blue
easy to read installation instructions, THEN is the time to post it.
Not August first.  But when it works.

The time to start the alpha testing is now, not when NNTP and NFS code
shows up.  There are plenty of bugs waiting to be found on non-ethernetted
sites.

We could use a serious volunteer as alpha and beta test coordinator.
This will burn a couple months of your time.  The job is a smooth transition
on 8000 sites to a major new network software release.  Any takers?
--
John Gilmore    {sun,pacbell,uunet,pyramid,amdahl}!hoptoad!gnu    gnu@toad.com
      "And if there's danger don't you try to overlook it,

spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) (06/20/88)

In article <4751@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) wrote:
>> I think I'm ready for release, and am just polishing at this point...
>> But I'm waiting on the NNTP and NFS support changes...
>> I guess I have to set myself a deadline. I'll ship what I have August 1st.
>> If that's missing NNTP/NFS code, that'll just have to do; it can be a patch.
>
>Last I talked with him, News 3.0 was running on about 5 machines, TOTAL.
>It's only running in production on ONE -- snark, Eric's machine.

If John's numbers are even close to correct, then I am in 100%
agreement with his recommendations.  I will not install (or even
recommend) any software that hasn't gone through some kind of shakedown
testing, no matter who (or what!) writes it.

The machines on the net represent dozens of Unix variants and dozens of
machine types.  The release needs to be tested and confirmed on a large
subset of those combinations.  If the software is released without test
and contains flaws, then after it breaks enough time it will get such a
bad reputation no one will ever want to try it again.

Do some proper testing, Eric.  Find at least one each Alpha test
involving: a BSD site, a System V.3 site, a System III site (?), a
SunOS site, an Ultrix site, a Xenix site, an HP-UX site, a Vax site, a
Pyramid site, a Sun 4 site, a 3B2 site, and a Sequent site.  Then go
into Beta test with at least 20 or 30 sites, perhaps an open Beta
test.

--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (06/22/88)

How easy will it port to VAX/VMS?

--
Dave Arnold
dave@arnold.UUCP	{cci632|uunet}!ccicpg!arnold!dave

root@libove.UUCP (The Super User) (06/23/88)

Well, with the recent remarks that News 3.0 has an extremely limited
testing area, I agree that it should not be released yet.

I volunteer to test and coordinate problems with News 3.0 on Xenix
machines.

--
Jay Libove               Internet: libove@cs.cmu.edu libove@andrew.cmu.edu
5313 Ellsworth Avenue              formtek!ditka!libove!libove@pt.cs.cmu.edu

newsuser@LTH.Se (Lund Institute of Technology news server) (06/28/88)

What is good and new in news 3.0? Do we need it?
There is already a new news program: C-news that can be used
to replace news 2.11 with.
We have used the alpha-release of C-news for half a year and it works ok.
Is there anything in news 3.0 that is better than C-news?
Are we going to have two versions of news in the world after news 2.11?

--
Dan Oscarsson                             e-mail:  Dan@DNA.LTH.Se
Department of Computer Science

chinn@apciseaapcisea.UUCP (3C3AF053.B0012B28) (06/29/88)

Has anyone signed up to test the beta on an apollo running
either sys5 or bsd4.2?

...uw-beaver                                    david m. chinn
      !apcisea                                  apollo computer inc
           !chinn                               bellevue sales office
   (206) 453-5544                               bellevue, washington

Opinions? Me, have opinions?!?  The preceding was a figment of a very active
imagination, and I can't imagine my company sharing any of my figs

> Are we going to have two versions of news in the world after news 2.11?

We've had multiple versions of news in the world for a long time.  The
situation may perhaps get a bit more visible, but the problem is not new.
--
Man is the best computer we can      |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
put aboard a spacecraft. --Von Braun | {ihnp4,decvax,uunet!mnetor}!utzoo!henry

len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) (08/10/88)

Does anyone know when news 3.0 will be released for general
public consumption? I keep seeing all these delightful messages
describing nifty keen features :-) ..

--
Len Rose - Netsys,Inc.
len@ames.arc.nasa.gov  or len@netsys (soon to be netsys.COM)

night@pawl.rpi.edu (Trip Martin) (02/20/89)

I've been trying to get news 3.0 running on a 3b2/300 running SVR3.1
and have run into a few problems.  The main problem I have is that
the file src/D.read/response_codes.h is missing.  Can someone send
me this file?  I've also noticed a number of mistakes in the makefiles
which caused the nntp library not to be made.
Trip Martin
night@pawl.rpi.edu (preferred)
night@uruguay.acm.rpi.edu