[news.software.b] C NEWS and 3.0 NEWS

david@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) (02/21/89)

Word on the net is that 3.0 Netnews may be out shortly and C News may
also be out soon.  The question I have is what are the advantages
of each?  The configuration I am concerned about is a machine whose
sole reason for being is to pass news, since it passes a LOT of news
it does not have many CPU cycles to spare.  The bottom line
is "Will C News and/or 3.0 Netnews speed up inews/rnews and expire?"
and if so how much?  I do not care about news readers since they
all use NNTP and are on different machines.

Any comments from the beta testers or other knowledgeable people
is appreciated.

--
	David Robinson		elroy!david@csvax.caltech.edu     ARPA
				david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov	  ARPA

In article <13818@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> david@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) writes:
>Word on the net is that 3.0 Netnews may be out shortly and C News may
>also be out soon.  The question I have is what are the advantages
>of each?

To sum up very briefly, both are cleaner re-implementations; C News is
almost certainly ahead on performance and simplicity, 3.0 News on being a
complete and self-sufficient package (C News is just the transport and
storage subsystems) that does everything you could want (C News favors
simplicity over features).

>... The bottom line
>is "Will C News and/or 3.0 Netnews speed up inews/rnews and expire?"
>and if so how much? ...

Yes, both will.  I don't have performance numbers for 3.0, but C News
speeds up processing of incoming news by a factor of 20-30 (we haven't
run timings lately).  Expire is also substantially faster.
--
The Earth is our mother;       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
our nine months are up.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) (02/23/89)

> Word on the net is that 3.0 Netnews may be out shortly and C News may
> also be out soon.  The question I have is what are the advantages
> of each?

C News was written by Henry Spencer and Geoff Collyer.
This alone is a formidable advantage.

Mark Brader		   "I don't care HOW you format   char c; while ((c =
SoftQuad Inc., Toronto	    getchar()) != EOF) putchar(c);   ... this code is a
utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com    bug waiting to happen from the outset." --Doug Gwyn

sob@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (03/18/89)

In article <1989Mar3.160835.16485@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <7235@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com> barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) writes:
>>I also believe that News 3.0 does not support NNTP.
>
>I'd be very surprised if Eric had left out something so significant.

Eric has used the NNTP changes I made to news 2.11 as his basis for NNTP support.
To my knowledge, they have not been beta tested at any NNTP site. I tried
to beta it here and it doesn't work without changes to nntp itself.
Hopefully, Eric will get back in touch and we'll get it checked out.

I don't remember what the bulk of the changes are now, but there are
alot of them. News 3.0 is NOT compatible with nntp 1.5 as it stands.

Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Baylor College of Medicine
Olan           uucp: {rice,killer,hoptoad}!academ!sob
Barber         Opinions expressed are only mine.