[news.software.b] Suggesstion for C NEWS and 3.0 NEWS

jgd@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (John G Dobnick) (03/11/89)

[North American distribution only, since that's where the developers of these
packages reside.]

Since neither C NEWS nor 3.0 NEWS has actually been released to the general
public yet (right?), I would like to propose the following "packaging
requirement".

	ANY and ALL news transport/reader systems shall include a set
	of the "netiquette" articles to "prime" a newly created news
	spool directory.

I suggest this to prevent the following situation, of which I had personal
experience as a neophyte news user.

	A site intially installs news and obtains a feed.  A user starts
	reading news and, in posting a followup to some article, violates
	one of the MAJOR proscriptions of netnews.  Said user gets "corrected"
	(and flamed unmercifully) for this transgression and is told to
	read the news.announce.newusers articles.  However, there is a
	small problem -- since this is a new site, there AREN'T ANY
	news.announce.newuser articles to read!   (In my personal experience,
	the n.a.n articles arrives two full weeks AFTER the incident.)

To prevent this situation at new sites, I suggest a set of n.a.n articles
be included in each full news distribution.  Source archive copies of news
should, in my opinion, be so modified.  If C NEWS and 3.0 NEWS are released
in this manner, the archive question is resolved.  I believe this will help
*new* sites, and is thus a "win".

I also propose the following change to any and ALL newsreader programs.

	When a new user is detected (perhaps by an empty .newsrc file?),
	create a "prototype" .newsrc  file for that user which displays
	news.announce.newusers FIRST! This will expose the new user to
	the "rules of the game" as the DEFAULT action of news.

	Of secondary importance, most other newsgroups should be marked
	UN-subscribed.  Exceptions would be selected local groups and such
	things as news.lists, and the various "important" groups (the
	"general" groups, news.announce.important, etc.).
	[Personally, I would place the talk and soc groups at the very bottom
	of the list -- personal prejudice.]

I believe that this (first) change, in and of itself, will prevent many
missteps by neophyte users.  (The second won't hurt things, either.)
Unfortunately this requires changes to *many* programs.  Since at least
one of these new NEWS releases includes newsreader programs, this seems a
good time to implement this policy.  This will, I believe, make news more
"user friendly" (I dislike this term, but "kinder and gentler" seems a bit
too much), especially to non-computer-oriented or computer-phobic persons.
This change will not only assist new sites, but individual new users, and is
thus also a "win".

[I would also go one step further and make n.a.n a PERMANENTLY subscribed
newsgroup!  This, however, is a subject to be dealt with elsewhere.]

(I had proposed these changes about two years ago and was hooted down.
Some people agreed with me.  More disagreed -- and quite loudly, too.  The
general reaction then, as *I* interpreted it, was "it won't cure the problem
at *all* sites, so let's do nothing!", and "nothing" was done.  Inertia is a
powerful force to tangle with -- I hope we can overcome it this time around.
Perhaps a Bran' Spankin' New news system will do it.)

Burned once by ignorance of netnews; trying to save others the discomfort.
--
John G Dobnick
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

"Knowing how things work is the basis for appreciation,
and is thus a source of civilized delight."  -- William Safire

evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) (03/13/89)

In article <1522@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>, John G Dobnick writes:

>I suggest a set of n.a.n articles be included in each full news distribution.

>I also propose the following change to any and ALL newsreader programs.

>	When a new user is detected (perhaps by an empty .newsrc file?),
>	create a "prototype" .newsrc  file for that user which displays
>	news.announce.newusers FIRST!

>	Of secondary importance, most other newsgroups should be marked
>	UN-subscribed.  Exceptions would be selected local groups and such
>	things as news.lists, and the various "important" groups (the
>	"general" groups, news.announce.important, etc.).

Good idea! I would suggest taking a hint from Xenix, which has a number of
default actions stored away in /etc/default/*. Perhaps a small feature
could allow the news administrator at a site to create a prototype .newsrc,
which would be used for each news reader without an existing .newsrc file.
That prototype, as shipped with the distribution source, would be created
along John's guidelines.

This would allow each news admin to decide what groups are 'important' to
first-time readers on his/her own site, and would take into account the
differences in the naming of local newsgroups.

PS. Being as these suggestions are for the news reading software only,
I suspect they have little relevance to those folk working on Cnews.
--

 Evan Leibovitch, SA of System Telly, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
     evan@telly.on.ca / {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (03/14/89)

In article <1522@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>, jgd@csd4 (John G Dobnick) writes:
>I also propose the following change to any and ALL newsreader programs.
>
>	When a new user is detected (perhaps by an empty .newsrc file?),
>	create a "prototype" .newsrc  file for that user which displays
>	news.announce.newusers FIRST! This will expose the new user to
>	the "rules of the game" as the DEFAULT action of news.

This is in the current USENET software. Of course you have to be familiar
with the proper configuration option. But I always try to sort the active file
into an order that makes sense to new users, with n.a.n first, and local
newsgroups next, etc.

--
	Bruce G. Barnett 	barnett@ge-crd.ARPA, barnett@steinmetz.ge.com
				uunet!steinmetz!barnett

root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) (03/18/89)

Regarding the suggestions below:

I fully support Mr. Dobnick's suggestions regarding default state
for the /usr/spool/news/news/announce/newusers/ directory and
~/.newsrc subscription lists.

I have always tried to get people to read the netiquette documents
before using the networks, and think that this setup would be a
great help to the network in keeping down understandable but still
extremely annoying wrong behaviour by new users.

From article <1522@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>, by jgd@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (John G Dobnick):
> 	ANY and ALL news transport/reader systems shall include a set
> 	of the "netiquette" articles to "prime" a newly created news
> 	spool directory.
>
> 	When a new user is detected (perhaps by an empty .newsrc file?),
> 	create a "prototype" .newsrc  file for that user which displays
> 	news.announce.newusers FIRST! This will expose the new user to
> 	the "rules of the game" as the DEFAULT action of news.
>
> (I had proposed these changes about two years ago and was hooted down.
> Some people agreed with me.  More disagreed -- and quite loudly, too.  The
> general reaction then, as *I* interpreted it, was "it won't cure the problem
> at *all* sites, so let's do nothing!", and "nothing" was done.  Inertia is a
> powerful force to tangle with -- I hope we can overcome it this time around.
> Perhaps a Bran' Spankin' New news system will do it.)

I can not understand why you were shot down then.

I hope that you are not shot down now.

> John G Dobnick
> INTERNET: jgd@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

-------------
Jay Libove		jl42@andrew.cmu.edu, libove@cs.cmu.edu,
5731 Centre Ave, Apt 3	gateway.sei.cmu.edu!libove!libove, jl42@andrew.BITnet,
Pittsburgh, PA 15206	psuvax1!pitt!darth!libove!libove,
(412) 362-8983		or uunet!nfsun!libove!libove

cks@ziebmef.uucp (Chris Siebenmann) (03/19/89)

In article <803@telly.UUCP> evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
| In article <1522@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>, John G Dobnick writes:
| >I suggest a set of n.a.n articles be included in each full news distribution.

 Excellent suggestion; I third it. Feeds for a new site should also
take responsibility for sending the new site the current messages in
n.a.n (everyone has 30+ day expires on news.announce.newusers already,
right?).

|>I also propose the following change to any and ALL newsreader programs.
|>	When a new user is detected (perhaps by an empty .newsrc file?),
|>	create a "prototype" .newsrc  file for that user which displays
|>	news.announce.newusers FIRST!

 It seems to be a well-kept secret that (at least for rn, readnews, and
vnews -- those are the only ones we have here) the order of newsgroups
in /usr/lib/news/active is the order in which they will appear in a
newly-created .newsrc. I exploited this feature when I set up our news
system to place various newsgroups up near the top (such as a newsgroup
for local bulletins, our local general conversations one, and
news.announce.newusers).

|>	Of secondary importance, most other newsgroups should be marked
|>	UN-subscribed.  Exceptions would be selected local groups and such
|>	things as news.lists, and the various "important" groups (the
|>	"general" groups, news.announce.important, etc.).
| Good idea! I would suggest taking a hint from Xenix, which has a number of
| default actions stored away in /etc/default/*. Perhaps a small feature
| could allow the news administrator at a site to create a prototype .newsrc,
| which would be used for each news reader without an existing .newsrc file.

 I'm not completely comfortable with this idea; I suspect a lot of
people simply wouldn't find many newsgroups because they have no idea
at all that they exist. Perhaps what we need is a special flag in the
.newsrc entry for groups that causes the newsreader to only offer them
to readers (along with an explanation of what the newsgroup is for) when
they're caught up on all the other normally-flagged newsgroups; of course,
after a newsgroup has been read the first time, this flag would be
stripped.

 Thus what would happen is that the first time reader would go through
all of n.a.newusers and whatever appropriate newsgroups, and then rn (say)
would prompt with something like:

**** N unread articles in comp.sys.amiga (Commodore Amiga: info&uses, but
     no programs.)
     Do you want to try this newsgroup? [ny]

(note that the description is from /usr/lib/news/newsgroups, and the
default is NOT to read the group).

--
	"Though you may disappear, you're not forgotten here
	 And I will say to you, I will do what I can do"