[news.software.b] tmn-3.0 & c-news compatibility with B-news readers

pst@nessus.UUCP (Paul Traina) (03/20/89)

How compatible are news-3.0 and C-news with B-news readers?

I'm concerned in particular about the ammount of hacking I may have to do
to vn (unless this has already been done... I may be lazy, but I'm not
stupid :-) ).
--
Home:	pst@ai.ai.mit.edu, pst@sbitp.bitnet, ...ucbvax!ucsbcsl!nessus!pst
Work:	pst@anise.acc.com

In article <281@nessus.UUCP> pst@nessus.UUCP (Paul Traina) writes:
>How compatible are news-3.0 and C-news with B-news readers?

I cannot speak for 3.0.  C News is 100% compatible with any reader
that does not closely examine the middle field of the history file.
We're using B-news readers (Australian readnews and rn) with C News
without modification.
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) (03/23/89)

In <1989Mar21.180619.616@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) wrote:
> In article <281@nessus.UUCP> pst@nessus.UUCP (Paul Traina) writes:
> >How compatible are news-3.0 and C-news with B-news readers?
>
> I cannot speak for 3.0.  C News is 100% compatible with any reader
> that does not closely examine the middle field of the history file.

This is also true of TMN-netnews, except a) if you use certain advanced
TMNN reader features, your .newsrc will get some annotations that B news
readers can't handle, and b) there are a couple of known glitches (for which
I have documented workarounds) in using the TMNN transport layer and expire
utility with rn.

If you have my stuff, you won't want the old B news readers any more. Believe
it, mine are upward-compatible and a *lot* nicer to use (in particular, my
vnews has all the useful features of vn, rn and more added to it).

Rn is a little stickier because I haven't been able to get word one out of
Larry Wall and his code is a little too ... intricate ... to allow
unassisted surgery. Instead, I've written an rn workalike called vrn; same
command set but the visual presentation is more like vnews.

All this is documented in detail in the TMNN distribution.
--
      Eric S. Raymond                     (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      Email: eric@snark.uu.net                       CompuServe: [72037,2306]