[news.software.b] can local groups be propagated to external site's local group?

lai@vedge.UUCP (David Lai) (03/24/89)

Just a thought (don't know if it really happens), but suppose I post an
article to a local group (like general), but the article is of general
enough interest that it is also cross posted to a worldwide group (like
news.software.b), then the article gets sent out with a newsgroups field
of:

	Newsgroups: general,news.software.b

Normally world sites will not have the group general localized, so the
article propagates over the group news.software.b.  Suppose then it eventually
gets to an external site that by co-incidence has a localized group
general.... would the article then appear in their local group?

Or does news restrict posting into local groups to local sites only?

(I hope I dont get too much flack for this article, if it does what I think
it might do)
--
	"What is a DJ if he can't scratch?"  - Uncle Jamms Army
The views expressed are those of the author, and not of Visual Edge, nor Usenet.

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (03/25/89)

In <3034@vedge.UUCP> lai@vedge.UUCP (David Lai) asks what happens if he
posts to "general,news.software.b" and one of his feeds gets it, will
it end up in their "general" newsgroup, too?

Yup, ask the folks at UUNET who owns "ut.all"; University of Toronto,
or University of Texas...
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (03/26/89)

In article <1620@papaya.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
>In <3034@vedge.UUCP> lai@vedge.UUCP (David Lai) asks what happens if he
>posts to "general,news.software.b" and one of his feeds gets it, will
>it end up in their "general" newsgroup, too?
>
>Yup, ask the folks at UUNET who owns "ut.all"; University of Toronto,
>or University of Texas...

Nope.  rnews strips local groups (groups with no dots in their names)
before accepting an article.  So, in answer to David Lai, the feed
would only see the article in news.software.b.  However, as Rich Salz
suggests, this problem has risen between U. of Toronto and U. of Texas --
articles crossposted between ut.general and netwide groups at U. of Texas
have landed in ut.general at U. of Toronto.

--
-- Joe Buck	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck