[news.software.b] Sys file problems and want patches for 2.11

jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) (03/23/89)

Hi there,
  I need some help with the sys file.  I have a line in my
sys file which reads:
hack:rec.games.hack::/usr/lib/sendmail hack

which according to the documentation should send all articles
for rec.games.hack into sendmail.  It works only if the
article contains a distribution line in the header which
has rec.games.hack in it.  If the article has no distribution
line then the article does not get sent.

Any help appreciated.

Also I was wondering if anyone could point me to all the patches
that apply to 2.11 news as I have none of them.

Ta very much.

--
  ______    JANET :jonathan@uk.ac.keele.cs     Jonathan Knight,
    /       BITNET:jonathan%cs.kl.ac.uk@ukacrl Department of Computer Science

jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) (03/26/89)

In article <556@kl-cs.UUCP>, jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) writes:
> Hi there,
>   I need some help with the sys file.  I have a line in my
> sys file which reads:
> hack:rec.games.hack::/usr/lib/sendmail hack

I got mail from several people (about 5) who said that a line like
hack:world,rec.games.hack::/usr/lib/sendmail hack

would do the trick.  Yep, it does unless someone specifies a
distribution of local or uk.  I can't add local and uk into the
sys line 'cos then all articles for the local and uk hierachy will
get sent through the mail.  What I really wanted as the ideal
solution is a line for the sys file which sends any article for
rec.games.hack through the mail for distributions of local, uk, eunet
and world.  Any experts?

BTW with regard to the syntax I originaly suggested, I used the example
in the multi-broadcasting section of the Usenet installation manual
as a guideline.  I think it suggests that
fred:comp.misc::mail fred

would send all articles for comp.misc to fred.  It seems this is
not the case.

Ta very much to those who responded.
--

stacy@mcl.UUCP (Stacy L. Millions) (03/26/89)

In article <556@kl-cs.UUCP>, jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) writes:
>   I need some help with the sys file.  I have a line in my
> sys file which reads:
> hack:rec.games.hack::/usr/lib/sendmail hack
>
> which according to the documentation should send all articles
> for rec.games.hack into sendmail.  It works only if the
> article contains a distribution line in the header which
> has rec.games.hack in it.  If the article has no distribution
> line then the article does not get sent.

I was just about to post a question about the same problem. I found I
could make it work if the second field contained some distribution info,
ie:
	hack:can,na,world,rec.games.hack::/usr/lib/sendmail hack

Am I missing something some where, or is the documentation just plain
old wrong.

-stacy

--

"You should not drink and bake."
				- Arnold Schwarzenegger, _Raw Deal_

jdiaz@oracle.com (Jean Marie Diaz) (03/27/89)

   From: jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight)
   Date: 25 Mar 89 16:31:38 GMT

   I got mail from several people (about 5) who said that a line like
   hack:world,rec.games.hack::/usr/lib/sendmail hack

   would do the trick.  Yep, it does unless someone specifies a
   distribution of local or uk.  I can't add local and uk into the
   sys line 'cos then all articles for the local and uk hierachy will
   get sent through the mail.  What I really wanted as the ideal
   solution is a line for the sys file which sends any article for
   rec.games.hack through the mail for distributions of local, uk, eunet
   and world.  Any experts?

We do something similar here:

#
# send all incoming resumes to resumes
RESUMES:world,na,ca,!ca.all,ba,!ba.all,oracle,!oracle.all,\
 misc.jobs.resumes::/bin/mail resumes

..it's the distribution,!distribution.all construct that you need.

				   AMBAR
ambar@oracle.com				 {uunet,pyramid}!oracle!ambar