[news.software.b] re-reading articles in rn

jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) (03/12/89)

If you find a way to reread old articles please post it because I have the same problem and thought it was just because I had not read the manual enough.
--
Jim Sanchez  {sun,hplabs}!sun!sytek!syteke!jim OR
Sytek Brussels  mcvax!prlb2!sunbim!syteke!jim

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (03/15/89)

In article <185@syteke.UUCP> jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) writes:
#If you find a way to reread old articles please post it because I have
#the same problem ...

Yes, there are lots of ways to read old articles in rn.
If you know the number, give it: rn will display that article even if it
has been marked as read.   Also, P and N  work as p and n (previous/next
article) but will ignore the 'read' flag.   I guess you already know '-'
shows the previous article you read (as opposed to predeceding article
numerically).   And you can always edit .newsrc!

123-126m with mark articles 123-126 as unread, and   /./m
will mark all articles in the group as un-read.

Finally, if you put the following lines into a file called .rnmac
in your home directory

~ $/./r:=
@1 |mail -s "%s" %L
@2 |print\n

you will define the same 3 rn macros that I have, whereupon:
~  will display the article headings in the group - including read ones
@1 will mail the current article to yourself
@2 will pipe the current article through print (a script I have to do lpr
   with the right flags to use my nearest printer).

Regards,
        David Wright           STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, UK
dww@stl.stc.co.uk <or> ...uunet!mcvax!ukc!stl!dww <or> PSI%234237100122::DWW

news@orcenl.uucp (News adm'r, Bjorn Engsig) (03/16/89)

In article <1256@acer.stl.stc.co.uk> "David Wright" <dww@stl.stc.co.uk> writes:
>Yes, there are lots of ways to read old articles in rn.
>If you know the number, give it: rn will display that article even if it
>has been marked as read.   Also, P and N  work as p and n (previous/next
>article) but will ignore the 'read' flag.   I guess you already know '-'
>shows the previous article you read (as opposed to predeceding article
>numerically).
You should add ^N and ^P which are used if you read articles by subject
threads.  But there is still (at least) one case where it is not possible.
In the newgroup selection level or at the first article in a new group,
there doesn't seem to be any way to show the last article read (in the previous
group).
>....  And you can always edit .newsrc!
But that shouldn't be necessary :-(
--
Usenet administrator (Bjorn Engsig) at ORACLE Europe, Naarden, The Netherlands.
news@orcenl.uucp, ..!mcvax!orcenl!{usenet,news}		Phone: +31 21 59 56 411

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (03/21/89)

In article <1529.orcenl@orcenl.uucp> news@orcenl.UUCP (News admnr. Bjorn Engsig) writes:
#In article <1256@acer.stl.stc.co.uk> "David Wright" <dww@stl.stc.co.uk> writes:
#>Yes, there are lots of ways to read old articles in rn. ....
#You should add ^N and ^P which are used if you read articles by subject
#threads.  But there is still (at least) one case where it is not possible.
#In the newgroup selection level or at the first article in a new group,
#there doesn't seem to be any way to show the last article read (in the previous
#group).

Yes, that irritates me sometimes too.
You can read the last actual article in the previous group easily though -
q(uit) from current group, - to go back to last group, answer 'y' to "do you
want to read...", then 99999 will read the last actual article in the group
(ignore the complaint "only 1234 articles" prior to it giving you No. 1234).

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (03/23/89)

In article <1268@acer.stl.stc.co.uk> "David Wright" <dww@stl.stc.co.uk> writes:
|In article <1529.orcenl@orcenl.uucp> news@orcenl.UUCP (News admnr. Bjorn Engsig) writes:
|#In article <1256@acer.stl.stc.co.uk> "David Wright" <dww@stl.stc.co.uk> writes:
|#>Yes, there are lots of ways to read old articles in rn. ....
|#You should add ^N and ^P which are used if you read articles by subject
|#threads.  But there is still (at least) one case where it is not possible.
|#In the newgroup selection level or at the first article in a new group,
|#there doesn't seem to be any way to show the last article read (in the previous
|#group).
|
|Yes, that irritates me sometimes too.
|You can read the last actual article in the previous group easily though -
|q(uit) from current group, - to go back to last group, answer 'y' to "do you
|want to read...", then 99999 will read the last actual article in the group
|(ignore the complaint "only 1234 articles" prior to it giving you No. 1234).

How about $P instead of 99999?  You don't get the complaint 'only 1234
articles' that way, and it's a little easier to type.  $ makes sure you're
after the last article, and P displays the previous article.  The $ usually
isn't necessary, because when you go into a group that's all read, you're
already after the last article.

Of course, it may not *really* be the last article you read, if you use
^N... but that's another story. :-)

  Bill
--
   Bitnet: wcf@psuhcx.bitnet     Bill Fenner       | "You are the angel of
  Internet: wcf@hcx.psu.edu                        |  death, and I am the

cudcv@warwick.ac.uk (Rob McMahon) (03/29/89)

In article <1268@acer.stl.stc.co.uk> "David Wright" <dww@stl.stc.co.uk> writes:
|You can read the last actual article in the previous group easily though -
|q(uit) from current group, - to go back to last group, answer 'y' to "do you
|want to read...", then 99999 will read the last actual article in the group

I just use `.P<RETURN>' from the `do you want to read' prompt.

Rob
--
UUCP:   ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!cudcv	PHONE:  +44 203 523037
JANET:  cudcv@uk.ac.warwick             ARPA:   cudcv@warwick.ac.uk