[news.software.b] 'inews 2.11.14' problems...

dtynan@altos86.UUCP (Dermot Tynan) (03/28/89)

As the moderator of comp.unix, I ran into a problem with inews and From:
fields.  Basically, if I approve a posting, header.c checks for a From: line.
Unless it is a domain-style From:, it will dump it, meaning that 'inews' will
put *my* address in there.  This is very awkward, for obvious reasons.  The
mod. I made, was to delete the check for domain-style addressing.  This means
that certain bang-path addresses now appear in the From: field, which is not
good, but it seems like this is the only alternative.  If anyone knows of a
better way to get around this, I'd like to hear about it.  As I understand it,
sites aren't supposed to muck with the From: field, as it passes through, but
then again, they're not supposed to do lots of things.

A second note (or piece of trivia), is that although 'inews' has compilation
support for V7, the code which updates the 'active' file uses mode "r+" to
fopen.  In checking my V7 programmers manual, this mode option wasn't available
then.  Is there anyone out there running news on a V7 box, who'd like to
comment???
						- Der

max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) (03/30/89)

In article <883@altos86.UUCP>, dtynan@altos86.UUCP (Dermot Tynan) writes:
> As the moderator of comp.unix, I ran into a problem with inews and From:

Whenever I post news on this Compaq 386/20, the news gets posted, but I
get this nagging inews: error message.  I don't remember the exact wording
so I will post this to see it and repost the message.
--
Max Heffler                     uucp: ..!uunet!jma!max
Landmark Graphics Corp.         phone: (713) 579-4751

In article <123@jma.UUCP>, max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) writes:
> In article <883@altos86.UUCP>, dtynan@altos86.UUCP (Dermot Tynan) writes:
> > As the moderator of comp.unix, I ran into a problem with inews and From:
>
> Whenever I post news on this Compaq 386/20, the news gets posted, but I
> get this nagging inews: error message.  I don't remember the exact wording
> so I will post this to see it and repost the message.

The message is:

Posting inews...
inews: Couldn't open
Article posted successfully

What gives?
--
Max Heffler                     uucp: ..!uunet!jma!max
Landmark Graphics Corp.         phone: (713) 579-4751
333 Cypress Run, Suite 100
Houston, Texas  77094

In article <883@altos86.UUCP> dtynan@altos86.UUCP (Dermot Tynan) writes:
>... although 'inews' has compilation
>support for V7, the code which updates the 'active' file uses mode "r+" to
>fopen.  In checking my V7 programmers manual, this mode option wasn't available
>then...

The code was there in V7 but it was not documented.  (One might wonder
how thoroughly it had been debugged, mind you.)
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu