[news.software.b] Signatures

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (William C. Fenner) (08/08/88)

HELP!  We have been running B news 2.11.14 for quite a while, and every
once in a while, inews doesn't append the user's .signature file.  Sometimes
it does, sometimes it doesn't.  Lately it seems like it doesn't.  Anybody
know why?

  Bill

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (08/08/88)

In article <321@psuhcx.psu.edu> wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (William C. Fenner) writes:
>HELP!  We have been running B news 2.11.14 for quite a while, and every
>once in a while, inews doesn't append the user's .signature file.  Sometimes
>it does, sometimes it doesn't.  Lately it seems like it doesn't.  Anybody
>know why?

Several reasons are possible.  The most common reason is that, since
inews runs as user "news", it is not able to read a user's .signature
file unless it is readable by the world and the user's home directory
is not searchable by the world.  It's also possible that user's .signatures
have more than four lines but then you'd get an error message.

--
- Joe Buck  {uunet,ucbvax,pyramid,<smart-site>}!epimass.epi.com!jbuck
jbuck@epimass.epi.com	Old Arpa mailers: jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net

msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) (05/10/89)

> ... please ignore.

Sorry.

> Bizarre .signatures:  USA, lots | Rahul Dhesi at Ball St U Computer Science
> of them; Canada, only one       | iuvax!bsu-cs!dhesi  dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

I resemble that remark!

--
Mark Brader		    "Howeb45 9 qad no5 und8ly diturvrd v7 7jis dince
SoftQuad Inc., Toronto	     9 qas 8mtillihemt mot ikkfavpur4d 5esoyrdeful

This article is in the public domain.  Followups are directed to rec.humor.