[news.software.b] When is C News being released?

rob@violet.berkeley.edu (Rob Robertson) (05/08/89)

When is C news being released?

Netnews in the 1980's:  USA, many | Rob Robertson at U of California, Berkeley
releases; Canada, 0 releases.	  | 	    rob@violet.berkeley.edu

badri@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu (Badri Lokanathan) (05/09/89)

In article <24133@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>,
rob@violet.berkeley.edu (Rob Robertson) writes:
>Netnews in the 1980's:  USA, many | Rob Robertson at U of California, Berkeley
>releases; Canada, 0 releases.	  | 	    rob@violet.berkeley.edu
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Give Canada 1/2 a release Henry Spencer's alpha release
of C news last year (?)
--
"I care about my fellow man              {) badri@ee.rochester.edu
 Being taken for a ride,                //\\ {ames,cmcl2,columbia,cornell,

In article <24133@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> rob@violet.berkeley.edu (Rob Robertson) writes:
>When is C news being released?

It's about to go into beta test (no, we do not need testers -- this is going
to be a restricted and fairly private beta).  General release as soon as
we're sure it works on a wide variety of systems.

>Netnews in the 1980's:  USA, many | Rob Robertson at U of California, Berkeley
>releases; Canada, 0 releases.	  | 	    rob@violet.berkeley.edu

Don't you count our alpha release?  It *did* work, albeit with quirks.

Personally, I do not consider a steady stream of revised releases to be
a good sign... :-)
--
Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) (05/10/89)

Just testing my own .signature, please ignore.
--
Bizarre .signatures:  USA, lots |     Rahul Dhesi at Ball St U Computer Science
of them; Canada, only one       | iuvax!bsu-cs!dhesi  dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (05/11/89)

Followups have been directed to comp.sources.d.

In article <1989May9.191034.3424@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
: Personally, I do not consider a steady stream of revised releases to be
: a good sign... :-)

Hooray!

I've become really disgusted with the amount of patching that goes
into some of the posted software. I would much rather wait for a
tested release than be the unintentional beta tester that many people
have become.

E.g., I would have brought up elm to replace mailx but there was
patch 1, patch 2, ..., patch 7! All in the space of a few weeks. It
might have been the case that elm would have worked fine for me but
this was *not* encouraging!

Please folks, if you have to release something that you don't *know*
is reasonably tested, note it as a beta. And tell us what *has* been
tested.

Please?

---
Bill                            { uunet | novavax } !twwells!bill